Too young for the roost bar?

galaxyflyer1

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 18, 2009
Corona Ca.
Hey all,

The chicks in the picture are about 4 weeks old. Mom is taking them up towards the roost bar. In my hen house, I have a 6"wide plank that sits in front of the roast bar. That is where mom is taking them to sleep. I'm worried that they may fall off the plank in the middle of the night. So I'm always putting them back down to the nest.

What do you think?

23230_on_the_ledge.jpg

Quote:
Nope, as young as a week or two old they can figure out the roost bar and sleep soundly there for the night. They feel safer up high. Let them be, they won't fall unless there is a shoving war between the chicks (happens usually when they first start to roost in the evening and are squabbling for the best spots).

Speaking of roost bars, I have 4 week old chicks who are in a kennel in my coop. Do you think I should put a small branch in there for them to roost on? My two older chickens don't use the roost area, they sleep on the ground in front of the window.

Quote:
Couldn't hurt. Even when my chicks were days old and I had them in the brooder, I added some branches and 4x4 bar pieces for them to hop on. They preferred sleeping on the branches and bars than on the ground once they were able to hop up. They get nimble quickly, and would often use the perches as launching pads for 'flying lessons' i.e. flapping their tiny wings!

Quote:
Couldn't hurt. Even when my chicks were days old and I had them in the brooder, I added some branches and 4x4 bar pieces for them to hop on. They preferred sleeping on the branches and bars than on the ground once they were able to hop up. They get nimble quickly, and would often use the perches as launching pads for 'flying lessons' i.e. flapping their tiny wings!

Thanks so much, tomorrow I'll be looking for a few little branches for them.
smile.png
They like hanging out on my arms and fingers right now.

Trying to learn about "babes" due to have first hatchlings next week. Mum is brooding them up in the top of the coop,6 inch wide ramp up. about 3 feetlong. Any advice would be good I am presuming Ma will know what to do. Other than chick food & some low branches. Worried they may not be able to get up & down. Also about thr reaction of the other 2 hens. Broody Ma is a Dorking & much smaller than the Wyandotte & Polish who share the coop. thanks in anticipation....

We made little bitty roosts out of tree branches in the brooder then made them some out of deck dowels on 2x6 bases which they use currently. Keep meaning to pickup another 2x4 for their permanet roosts just haven't gotten around to it . But they are only 7 weeks so the bigger roosts can wait a little while. They are so cute in the windows on their current roosts.

Back
Top Bottom