6 week old chicks refuse to roost and insist on sleeping underneath mom

Good God! What a mom! Lol 😆
She isn't even my hen and she didn't hatch the chicks. I suppose I should start from the beginning right? So a few months ago our friends had a pair of Ayam Cemanis and wanted to breed them, but didn't have an incubator to put the eggs in. So they gave em to us to hopefully collect some eggs and incubate them for a few months. We'll she only laid 4 eggs while she was here and they were not fertile. They were in the grow out pen with some chicks a little over a month old, and we went to tractor supply later. There was some Cornish Cross meat birds there we decided to take, and mixed in were 2 smaller, darker red chicks. A few weeks later we moved them out but had to seperate the red chicks because they were pecking the tails of the CC. They were moved into the grow out pen with the older teenage chicks and the Ayam Cemanis. They got picked on a bit at first, but then a few weeks later the hen randomly went broody and adopted them and has been taking care of them ever since. I can't tell if they are male of female yet, probably female but I think I'm gonna sell them soon.

She isn't even my hen and she didn't hatch the chicks. I suppose I should start from the beginning right? So a few months ago our friends had a pair of Ayam Cemanis and wanted to breed them, but didn't have an incubator to put the eggs in. So they gave em to us to hopefully collect some eggs and incubate them for a few months. We'll she only laid 4 eggs while she was here and they were not fertile. They were in the grow out pen with some chicks a little over a month old, and we went to tractor supply later. There was some Cornish Cross meat birds there we decided to take, and mixed in were 2 smaller, darker red chicks. A few weeks later we moved them out but had to seperate the red chicks because they were pecking the tails of the CC. They were moved into the grow out pen with the older teenage chicks and the Ayam Cemanis. They got picked on a bit at first, but then a few weeks later the hen randomly went broody and adopted them and has been taking care of them ever since. I can't tell if they are male of female yet, probably female but I think I'm gonna sell them soon.
That is so bizarre! I've never heard of a hen adopt teen chicks she didn't hatch herself or meet at a very young age! That's very sweet tho

Back
Top Bottom