Took in some 2-4 week old chicks and need help!

hannahshatchery

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 15, 2013
We were suckered into taking the chicks my daughters school hatched. They are 2-3 weeks old. I was hoping to put them straight into our brooder coop outside but looks like we have a colder snap coming. Daytime temps in the mid to high 60's and nights 40's. Are they ok to be in the coop during the day and then I will bring them into the house at night?

Also, any idea what they are??

Thanks for any and all guidance, we've never had chicks this young but have had them from 5-6 weeks and up a few times.

Last edited:
Just went to check on them since they have been out there for an hour, they weren't huddled or anything so seem ok at least with the daytime temperature...

Haha yes I think so. I too assumed roo, maybe lavender Orpington? And I'm thinking the other two may be marans...

I was also thinking lavender Orp but without more adult feathers wasn't sure. Ohhh Maran would be fun but those black legs are throwing me. I am not familiar with the darker breeds but I thought that both those have yellow legs.

I have 7, black sex-linked chicks and they look almost identical to those little black ones. However, there are so many varieties of black-colored chicks that looks alone could be meaningless!

Back
Top Bottom