Took some pictures today....Sebastopols, Dewlap Toulouse, American, & Utility Toulouse

hhmm all are old enough to be on bedding. We use the pelleted horse stall bedding. They dont slip, it rakes nicely and dries quickly. We dont brood in the house though. What are the walls of your brooders? They could be just running too much and knocking into walls, or slipping on the flat shavings. I dont feed anything during the day, but the goslings are outside on the grass all day. They get Mazuri waterfowl in their brooders at night when we put them to bed. I noticed they are stiffer on super rainy days when they cant be outside all day.

Celtic can just little a slip cause them to be lame? I was thinking about it and the metal dish I have the water for them to play in while they are outside during the day has a slick bottom. I am sure that he has slipped when he makes a running leap at it and lands in the water to splash around. Should I put some no skid stuff on the bottom of it? It would be easy enough. Also I think we were practicing our follow mommy routine to see if they would follow me in the house and I saw him slip on the wood flooring that I have. We don't do that anymore. But could that little slip have made him sore? I sure don't want any of them hurt. I don't leave them out all day but I do for 3-4 hours with grass and feed and shade available to them. I'm having trouble getting Mazuri, but I am trying. Its "on order". The brooder box they were in is made of plastic. But they are no longer in as of today. Now they are in a room, loose on the rough concrete floor which is bedded with fresh shavings and the walls are made of concrete siding also. That should give them plenty of traction.

It can sometimes, remember they are little babies so small falls can result in a limp. If they fall a few times in the same day or two then they need to recover. Make sure the food has enough niacin in it for them while you hunt and wait for the Mazuri. Dark greens such as kale and dandelion greens are good brooder snacks for them too.

It can sometimes, remember they are little babies so small falls can result in a limp. If they fall a few times in the same day or two then they need to recover. Make sure the food has enough niacin in it for them while you hunt and wait for the Mazuri. Dark greens such as kale and dandelion greens are good brooder snacks for them too.
Celtic, I am very cocerned about Patton. He seems bright and alert, is eating and drinking but he is still limping and his leg seems to be turned out from the hock. Should I wrap it and should I try to keep him still? He frets if taken away from the others so I'm not sure how I can keep him still. How much niacin do they need? The feed I give them has it listed as a supplemental ingredient but does not say how much. Thanks Celtic for being there for all these people you don't even know!

Shannon of the leg is twisted I would be concerned enough to call the Vet and make an appointment. Hock joints and leg issues can be nothing, or can be serious. Error on the side of caution with leg issues. Niacin is a difficult thing, we don't supplement since we feed Mazuri. I know those feeding starter feed will put 1 dose sprinkled over the food daily.

Shannon, call the vet. I can find the number again, if you need it.

Until checked by vet, I would keep him in an indoor pen on bath towels (soft compression/good traction). Put his closest buddy with him for companionship.

Back
Top Bottom