Toulouse or Emden?

Gbirdie05

Hatching
Apr 25, 2024
I bought these three precious babies at my work and they said they were Toulouse… but they don’t have the signature black beak. I’ve seen some Toulouse online with lighter beaks at this age, like French or dewlap. But these Toulouse came from Hoovers hatchery whom I’m fairly certain don’t do those breeds of Toulouse. I kinda feel like crying cuz I’m so attached but I absolutely will not do emden geese again. And I’ve been trying so hard to get Toulouse geese for a long time and I thought I had them :/ but im not so sure now. Their names are Goober, Goon, and Gravy. If they are emden im going to have to rehome them :,( hoping for some good news
D8BB508C-CB58-4B91-92E1-7F3251ECD695.jpeg
7E1582B8-12C0-42D6-8836-8FF0D08E981A.jpeg

They aren’t grey geese. Pink beaks indicate that they’ll be white, buff, or some other dilute form.
This doesn’t necessarily mean that they are embdens, they may be some other breed or crosses.

My french toulouse all had black beaks as babies, true grey comes out with black beaks but that doesn’t mean that they’re toulouse or that if they are pink that they aren’t toulouse either. There are buff and white toulouse but they tend to be uncommon and very pricy.

What I think you have here is that one of the parents were grey and marketed as “toulouse” which is the lost and found bin for every grey bird with unknown pedigree, because grey is the base color every breed came from, but the goslings inherited its looks from the other parent. They could be pilgrim, they could be smooth sebbies, you don’t really always know looking at a grey bird.
Either that or they just sold you whatever and lied.

Unless you’re shelling out money for a dewlap or exhibition Toulouse it’s hard to tell if it’s toulouse or part bred just looking at a grey bird. French Toulouse aren’t much different than production Toulouse, they aren’t show quality, they’re more of a novelty breed metzer got from Toulouse France and were never meant to be anything more, but people have been since marketing the descendants of birds they got from metzer or in many cases from wherever as “French Toulouse” and charging a lot for them like they’re Marie Antoinette’s jewels, just because “french” sounds fancier. I absolutely love mine but point is they are just a production Toulouse and their genetic phenotype is all over the place.

They resemble my Embdens. I take it you had a bad experience? I can say that I've noted very different personalities in mine. One was quiet and unassuming while the other was loud and bullish.

Back
Top Bottom