Tool left in oven GRRRRRRR!

EweSheep

Flock Mistress
14 Years
Jan 12, 2007
Land of Lincoln
My lovely hubby replaced the bottom burner/heat coil element of our oven, put the racks and pizza stone back into the oven and told me its done and ready to go.

This morning I turned on the oven, took a 15 minute shower, came out and smelled plastic burning. Thought it was burning off the "newness" of the burner.

I opened it up wondering why that plastic smelling....lo and behold, on the bottom there was his needle nosed pliers, plastic syrofoam handles melting.....
hmm.png

It needs a cleaning....I know the rack will be fine in cleaning cycle but what about the pizza stone? It was so lovely seasoned...is it safe? Or do I need to wash it with soap and water and reseason it again? Or the fumes of the plastic can do it harm?

I am going to have some choice words for him when he comes home from work!
smack.gif
rant.gif
somad.gif

So right now I will be waiting for your responses on the pizza stone. I have three more unused stones but it will take three years to get that seasoned I had!

Robin, The plasic fumes can do harm to your food, I suggest you clean it out a give it a reasoning.
You can be happy yours was only for 15 minutes of melting. We had a wood stove my DF had to fix it, so my DM lit it up and we went off for our afternoon swim. Meanwhile we were enjoying ourselves, water pump plyers had changed from solid metal into a hot black soup.
We sold it and ever since we don't put the oven on without checking for "unwanted geusts".
I hope you can get your sorted out.
smile.png

That is what I am afraid of, the plastic fumes seeping thru the pores of the stone. I can not risk food poisoning. So out in the garbage it goes!
hit.gif
Better safe than sorry. Well if I can speed up the seasoning process, I just have to cook on it more often! More cookies and pizzas!

I cleaned and scraped up what was left on the bottom of the stove, gave it a good wash and set it for self cleaning. So far so good and no smell except for food burn spills. Waiting for the self cleaning to be done so I can have some pizza for supper!

Back
Top Bottom