Top boss chicken does not let others dust bathe...

hihuckleberry

Chirping
Feb 24, 2018
Los Angeles
The top boss chicken (of the 3) does not let others dust bathe. They dig holes for themselves, start to fluff around and she comes over and pecks at them until they get up. She does not want the spot for herself, she just doesn't want anyone else to have a good time. The 3 of them are frequently pecking at each other's butts and getting into little fights. Other than that they seem to get along most of them time, especially while out free-ranging. Is it normal for the pecking order to be this severe? Would it help to add another 1 or 2 birds? All new birds, got them all at the same time 3 weeks ago, but were not kept together originally.

Things should be settling down soon. Nasty as it looks, if there are no injuries, and everyone is eating and drinking, it's maybe good. Two separate feeders and waterers if needed.
Will you be getting more birds from the same place? That would probably be best, at least from a biosecurity standpoint.
I've found that production reds, including the hatchery RIRs and red sex-links, can be nasty feather picking beasts. Is that who you have?:oops:
Mary

Things should be settling down soon. Nasty as it looks, if there are no injuries, and everyone is eating and drinking, it's maybe good. Two separate feeders and waterers if needed.
Will you be getting more birds from the same place? That would probably be best, at least from a biosecurity standpoint.
I've found that production reds, including the hatchery RIRs and red sex-links, can be nasty feather picking beasts. Is that who you have?:oops:
Mary

I have a black austrolorp (boss!) americauna (2nd) and barred rock (bottom of the order!) I was thinking about getting a couple of orpington! From the same place yes. I got them from a feed barn.

What are the dimensions of your coop and run? It's not uncommon for a bird to peck an other bird out of the dust bath or the nest, simply to show superiority. It is helpful if ou have plenty of room in coop and run, lots of out of sight areas, multiple locations for nesting/dust bathing/eating/perching.

What are the dimensions of your coop and run? It's not uncommon for a bird to peck an other bird out of the dust bath or the nest, simply to show superiority. It is helpful if ou have plenty of room in coop and run, lots of out of sight areas, multiple locations for nesting/dust bathing/eating/perching.
The coop and run are about 9x12 (A frame) See attached pic
unnamed.jpg

And I try to let them out a few times a week to range for several hours

Back
Top Bottom