1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

"Top" chicken biting others' feet on roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by starchicky, May 13, 2016.

1. starchicky

starchicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2013
    Oregon
    I noticed a pretty bad sore on the top of one of my lower ranking chickens foot. After treating it and separating her for a day, I noticed smaller sores on a couple others feet in the same spot. I then saw my highest ranking chicken biting, not just pecking, really biting the feet of chickens she seemed to not want on her roost at bed time. So far I was able to see she roosted last and it was dark enough she couldn't see to get to that roost and had to use a lower one. Any suggestions? Not sure why she is so aggressive lately, but I need to put my pullets in with them soon as well :/

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You should always have multiple roosts. Lower members aren't allowed to roost near higher members. Certainly they need to be a few feet away from each other, as far away as possible.

3. starchicky

starchicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2013
    Oregon
    I think the issue is the lower ranked chickens are roosting on the top edge of the frame, between the coop and the roof. So not really meant to be a roost, and then the other chicken didn't like them being higher. Otherwise, I have about four levels of roosts. But maybe the coop is to compact. I think it's 4'x4'. I have 5 chickens right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by