Top Egg Layers!

bacres

Songster
9 Years
Mar 13, 2010
East Pennsylvania
Hi, I would like to know the top egg layers for both large fowl, bantam fowl, and waterfowl. My mother would like to get egg layers but I want to see what would produce the most eggs first!
Thanks

For large fowl I vote for any Wyandott variety, Black australorps and Speckled Sussex. However, my best egg layers are still by far my Sicilian buttercup, which still lay me a small (store size medium) white egg everyday during their egg-laying season. This is their fifth year. As for the wyandotts, I've had golden-laced, silver-laced and partridge, which have/are all good producers for me. Easter egg chickens (usually sold as ameracauna/araucana in the hatchery catalogs and feedstores) are also very prolific large-size(store size jumbo) egg producers.

Last edited:
I am a first timer and tried a variety...I will get RIR's and Barred Rocks again over the others both for their laying, but also for their "personalities." Keep in mind though that before they are fully mature their laying can be somewhat undependable. Mine are just about a year old now and after a short winter break they have all now started laying and I am finally getting eggs more regularly (4-5 per day from my 5 girls).

Black and Red Sexlinks. Really good layers and they're very pretty.
smile.png
Of course RIR's are used to create them.
smile.png

This is my Black Sexlink pullet Little Shadow II. Her father is my RIR roo Rusty and her mother is one of my BR hen's Pepper.
smile.png

Pretty isn't she?

3579_little_shadow_ii.jpg

for water fowl, runner ducks, are suppost to be able to lay around 300 eggs a year, but i cant confirm that, ive never had them, just what i have read.

I'm coming up on a full year of keeping chickens and so far the "amberlinks/sexlinks" I got from Tractor Supply on sale are my best overall. Next has been the Gold Laced Wyandottes who laid eggs all winter. Just now that it's spring the Austrolorps are laying.
tongue.png

Ameraucanas shouldn't be overlooked either. Mine laid all winter long and very large eggs at that. To me they were like leghorns that lay blue eggs.

Back
Top Bottom