Top Hen?

Dropbear

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2020
What are some recommendations for what to look for to see who’s the top hen in a flock?

i need to update my profile I guess to list the flock members instead of posting them constantly I guess, lol.

We have a Silkie roo, two Speckled Sussex hens, two White Leghorn hens, a Rhode Island Red hen and rooster, and an ambiguous Silver Sebright.

Tiny, the Silver Sebright, is aggressive and controlling with the other hens. We put a crow collar on Tiny because s/he is echoing the Silkie in the morning by crowing. But our first eggs look a lot like Sebright eggs in size. I wonder if s/he has assumed the mantle of top hen.

The Silke is, well, everything I’ve read about them. Non-aggressive, sweet, and holdy.

Neither of the Speckled Sussex are very aggressive, and they follow the Silkie everywhere.

The top hen will be able to peck all the other hens, and she can chase them away from the food. She has first pick in everything. In my flock, the top hen also watches out for danger, but since you have roosters, I don't know if that would apply to you.

Back
Top Bottom