Top off food or toss and refill?

Tracyree

Songster
12 Years
May 6, 2011
I only have four chicks and am using a chick feeder (the kind with the holes and the plastic jar that screws into it. I fill just the part on the bottom, but the chicks don't eat that much, so I've been topping it off every day and tossing/refilling every other day. Seems like a lot of waste.

What others do?

Checking three times daily I make certain all but fines are consumed, then fines are discarded and feeder cleaned. Uneaten feed over time degrades and potentially supports unwanted organisms (i.e. fungi) if moisture gets high.

I have a long feeder, so I just pick out any shavings that may have been kicked in and then I tip it so the old feed slides to one end and I add new feed to the other end. Not sure if you can do this with a round feeder, but I hate wasting feed.
wee.gif

N&M, that is exactly what I did as a first time chick mom.
Seems like so long ago. 10 weeks now
However, all my shaking and shimmy-ing did not turn my favorite chick, Pierogi, into a girl!

I was tossing and re-filling, but I let it go this last time to see how long it would take. It took my 4 chicks 3 days to finish an entire jar. I probably won't fill it so high in the future and will just fill a little at a time so there is no waste and yet it's not sitting there either.

I was wondering this too ~ but I have three with a bowl.
(Their feeder is on order)
So sometimes I top off, sometimes I refill.
You could add the fines to yogurt or sprinkle on a treat maybe?

I love the name Pierogi too
smile.png

thats a great idea - add the fines to yogurt or oatmeal, etc -

I try hard to only put in the feeder what they will eat in a day. leaving food in the feeder, especially when humid and hot makes a great place for microbes to grow. Id like to get to the point where there is NO feed in the coop at night, to reduce pests and reduce waste.

Back
Top Bottom