Topic of the Week - Adding New Chickens to the Flock

I had 2 EEs and 2 BRs all 5-6 weeks old. The two BRs died soon, and the hatchery sent two more a week later. The new ones were around 5 weeks. I put the EEs in the main coop, and put the BRs in a temp run in the garage. I had been putting the BRs in a cage in the yard next to the main coop during a few afternoons. The EEs are 4" or so taller than the BRs, and bigger in the body, but I really needed to get them all in the main coop this weekend. I put them in early and initially the EEs were standing over and pecking the BRs, but the BRs ignored it. I went back out 20 minutes later and the BRs were keeping the EEs away. The EEs will cautiously move toward them, but them all seem okay. I hope it continues.

Last edited:
That is exactly what I do. I only buy from reputable breeders. Once I leave the crate door open all night, they start to mingle with the others. That is when I leave the coop door open all day, so they have a place they can run to for security. I have never had any problems.

I got two hens a week ago..getting 2 more tomorrow...since there us only 4 and the others are new...can I just throw them in??
No! Never ever just throw new chickens in with an existing flock. It is extremely risky as far as spreading potential disease, and besides it is very hard on the new ones, AND the existing flock. All new chickens should be quarantined for three weeks to a month, and then introduced slowly.

No!  Never ever just throw new chickens in with an existing flock.  It is extremely risky as far as spreading potential disease, and besides it is very hard on the new ones, AND the existing flock.  All new chickens should be quarantined for three weeks to a month, and then introduced slowly.

Well...since no one answered...i set them next to the other two birds for a few hours...then put them in...all day they have gotten along beautifully! I know it's a huge risk with the disease factor...but I decided to take the risk.

I am a bit nervous. In 2 days we are picking up a 5 yr old mama hen and her 3 pullets at point of lay (her second batch), all beautiful black orpingtons. We currently have a 4 yr old black orpington and a similar aged silver wyandotte. Never tried adding chickens to existing flock before. We are not set up to do quarantine as we don't have the equipment or space. They have the gardens to free range in tho. Hubby thinks it'll be fine to just introduce them all together and they'll sort it out.

Yesterday I put my new 11-12 week old pullets (6) and my little rooster in the run with Maggie my 2 yr. old red star. After living side by side for a couple weeks I am pleased to say they are all getting along wonderfully and they went right to roosting. I was so stressed for nothing. Of course there is a peck here and there but nothing serious at all. This has made my week!!

Attachments

• IMG_1502.JPG
    IMG_1502.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1507.JPG
    IMG_1507.JPG
    293.7 KB · Views: 11
We just rescued a 4 year old hen. She lived alone in a small pen, with no flock, and never at anything but grower or laying mash. She arrived terrified, poor sweet girl. I have tried to give her raisins as a treat, but she wouldn't even look at it. Didn't eat the greens I gave her either.

Right now she's separated from our flock of four. They can see each other, but not touch. She has a small coop with nesting box and run, but she seems anxious to escape it.

The other girls spend their days free-ranging. Our new girl has never seen that before. Do you think she will learn from the others? I was pretty surprised she wouldn't eat her greens....

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Uploading a picture of her "little coop" inside the larger enclosure. We added an extra screen in front to keep our bully a little further away.
2017-05-26 16.41.11.png

Last edited:
We just rescued a 4 year old hen. She lived alone in a small pen, with no flock, and never at anything but grower or laying mash. She arrived terrified, poor sweet girl. I have tried to give her raisins as a treat, but she wouldn't even look at it. Didn't eat the greens I gave her either.

Right now she's separated from our flock of four. They can see each other, but not touch. She has a small coop with nesting box and run, but she seems anxious to escape it.

The other girls spend their days free-ranging. Our new girl has never seen that before. Do you think she will learn from the others? I was pretty surprised she wouldn't eat her greens....

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Uploading a picture of her "little coop" inside the larger enclosure. We added an extra screen in front to keep our bully a little further away.View attachment 1019207
Give her time, like a few weeks at least...lots of change, new foods can be scary, just let her get settled in and eating a good chicken ration until she is used to her new surroundings...then start to introduce some new foods and maybe one or two of her new flock members.

I have done this several times, with different ages:

I have added adult chickens. I never have added just one. And I don't quarantine, to me healthy looks healthy. However, I don't buy adult birds from auctions or swap meets, but rather from other people who have chickens like me in similar set ups. It is a risk, but I don't have a huge number of birds or a valuable flock. I have several hideouts in the run. I have only had one bird be a bit cantankerous, but I let them sort it out, and eventually they did.

I have for years, let a broody hen raise chicks in the coop. With my first broody hen, I tried separating her, she went back to the nest she liked. I decided she knew more about it than I did, and gave her chicks. Since then, I let them do it their way. Sometimes I get chicks, sometimes I don't. The broody hen introduces them to the flock, and protects them from the flock until they get used to them.

Many people with the best of intentions, separate the broody hen, and the flock forgets her. Then they wait until the chicks are 5 to six weeks old. The hormones for broodiness are falling or are gone all together. At that time they try and reintroduce the whole works into the flock. The hen is a single adult bird being introduced to an established flock. She is in a desperate situation of establishing her pecking order, has hormonally forgotten her chicks, and they too are at the mercy of the flock. Put that broody hen with the flock when her hormones are high, and the chicks stick close to her and you will have success.

I do think that there is a very big difference, in a static flock. One that has not had change their whole lives. Flock mates raised together for three years for example are going to be very territorial. Flocks that routinely have had chicks in them, are much more tolerant of chicks, I think.

I successfully introduced brooder chicks to my flock just recently. They were less than 3 weeks old. I did not pen them up, but I did give them a safe place to retreat. Much like a broody hen, if you think about it, a successful broody hen is a place where a chick can go for a warm up and be protected from bigger birds. The chick needs to know where this is. I used lattice panels. My chicks could go through them like water. They were not trapped on one side, big hens on the other. The chicks can venture out on their terms, scoot back into protection when threatened. These chicks quickly learn chicken manners. It took less than a week, and there was no signs of strife.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom