Topic of the Week - Aggressive Roosters: What is the best way to handle them?

I have an aggressive Brahma.I just treat him like a wild animal. If he is in the pen, I can get him to go into the coop by allowing him to see me open the coop, he will run in through the chicken door, and I have someone else close it do he can't go back to the pen. When I let the girls out to fee range, I leave him in the pen. He's a real jerk, I just don't have it in me to kill him for it.
I know a lot of people say pick him up and walk around with him. But he is so nasty there is no way I could pick that guy up.

Last edited:
We have a large Silver-Laced Wyandotte roo, "EARL", who is 29 weeks old. He's extremely good to my large flock of free-range hens, and protective of them, even warning them about hawks, so I don't want to get rid of him --- he's doing exactly what I want him to. When he was maturing, however, he tried to throw his weight around. I used the advice I found on these forums, and never permitted him to think he was the boss. I walked "through" him instead of around, forcing him to move out of my way every time I came into the yard. I still do that every now and then.

Earl's only ever sneaked up behind me and flapped and pecked at my legs on two occasions. The first time, I had a bucket of water in my hand and he got doused! The second time, I had a tiny plastic kid's rake that I use to reach eggs out of one particular corner of the coop. Swack! No problems since then, but I always keep one eye on him -- I'm not foolish enough to think he'll never try it again, LOL. I think that I may have fewer problems with him because of that initial conditioning and also because I'm his "mom" (raised him from a chick) plus I'm the "bearer of good things" -- food and water and treats -- for his beloved hens. AND, maybe most importantly, because Earl has a decent temperament to start with. I've witnessed a couple of real terrors, and I agree with the folks who sent those nasty roos to the stewpot. Any rooster that goes for somebody's face is just too dangerous to have around!

My husband's experience has been a bit different. He's been attacked several times in the past three months (does Earl sense he's a guy? Suspect him of trying to make time with HIS girls?), and since the garden hose is ready at hand in the chicken yard, hubs simply gives Earl an enthusiastic shower. It takes quite a while before Earl makes another attempt...

Meanwhile, we have two large Cochin roosters who are quiet, unassuming, and content to be "beta roos" in the grand scheme of things. Earl doesn't bother them at all, interestingly. I guess they worked out who was going to be boss a long time ago! And there's enough hens to accommodate three roos.

Last edited:
I've had many cocks; the good, the bad, and the really bad, over the years. I do NOT try to make pets out of my cockrels, rather I walk 'through' them and expect them to get out of my way at all times. Cockrels who are 'friendly' as chicks have often not turned out well, in my experience. I won't waste my time trying to reform a bird who's not going to be a 'keeper' for any other reason, but I have tried to reform cockrels who challenged me IN ANY WAY, maybe twice. That's it, and then they are on the dinner list. Tammy's RIR is likely not going to turn out well, IMO. Here there are no excuses; what I'm wearing, if I'm annoying another bird, phases of the moon, whatever. The game bird people have shown that human aggression is separate from cock fighting behavior, and they have culled 'man fighters' for generations, even though their birds will fight each other to death. (Ugh, but it shows something about chicken genetics). Nasty roosters can cause serious injuries, and need to be gone before that happens. Someone will be happy to have a nice dinner, if not you. Managing your flock is part of being a good chicken keeper! Mary

Rooster always needs to be defined based on age. This is a major problem with backyard poultry keeping.

- What was your experience(s) with aggressive roosters and what did you try/do to remedy it?

I keep lots of roosters. Their is a genetic component with some breeds. In other breeds how the birds can be kept is more important. Where it a genetic base simply cull. If learned then I have skill and patience to break pattern of aggression providing a target that is niether threatening our movable by his aggression. Providing the target is unpleasant as you get flogged, a lot. I effort not to insert myself into the pecking order.

- Should aggressive roosters be rehabilitated, rehomed, or invited for dinner?

Dinner is default for parties without lots of rooster experience.

I've had many cocks; the good, the bad, and the really bad, over the years. I do NOT try to make pets out of my cockrels, rather I walk 'through' them and expect them to get out of my way at all times. Cockrels who are 'friendly' as chicks have often not turned out well, in my experience. I won't waste my time trying to reform a bird who's not going to be a 'keeper' for any other reason, but I have tried to reform cockrels who challenged me IN ANY WAY, maybe twice. That's it, and then they are on the dinner list. Tammy's RIR is likely not going to turn out well, IMO. Here there are no excuses; what I'm wearing, if I'm annoying another bird, phases of the moon, whatever. The game bird people have shown that human aggression is separate from cock fighting behavior, and they have culled 'man fighters' for generations, even though their birds will fight each other to death. (Ugh, but it shows something about chicken genetics). Nasty roosters can cause serious injuries, and need to be gone before that happens. Someone will be happy to have a nice dinner, if not you. Managing your flock is part of being a good chicken keeper! Mary
Agree. The only nasty rooster I have ever encountered was the sweetest thing as a chick..... I now have some cockerels that I believe have potential to be aggressive; and I am taking great pains to not be friendly with them. So far, so good.

My current flock rooster wasn't all that friendly as a chick, but is THE best rooster I have ever owned now that he has grown up. He has a home here for life.

We have too many roosters! But the Rhode island reds are nasty and mean. The largest and most aggressive is John. I tell him daily nobody likes you John!
He goes after all the others. He has been going after me and my husband. He is not yet 6 months old. But huge! We have put him in the coop by himself during the day.
Put him in dog crate. He is, if its possible teaching one of the other roosters to join him in attacking the others! Nothing improves his attitude!
He and the gang of five angry roosters are headed to the pot! The sooner the better.
We have barred rock roosters and they are fine. Going to the pot too but just because we don't need 8 roosters. First time chicken owners.

I have 2 in my little pack of 8 chickens, all around 16 weeks old. They've been with me since they hatched and have great temperaments thus far. I know that can change but I'm realllllly hoping it doesn't! My favorite out of all of them is my Buff Orpington Marshmallow...he is so sweet and I brought him back from the brink of death when he had wry neck and it wasn't looking good for him. My other male Lavender is a silver laced Wyandotte and is pretty calm but definitely very watchful and protective. My chickens are not to be eaten ever regardless so I'm hoping I never have to deal with an aggressive roo!

An attack too will never change its ways-someone "rehomed" one to me when l bought 2hens from me...after raking me, my husband workers, and a grandchild with it's nails and beating us in the face, jumping on our backs etc, it was returned to its Maker. Please do not give a mean too to someone else!

Back
Top Bottom