Topic of the Week - Aggressive Roosters: What is the best way to handle them?

Pics
Mine can run and fly pretty well, and I'm NOT U. Bolt! If moving the nasty boy out of your way at all times, and generally moving him off fairly quietly, doesn't fix his problem, having that rodeo won't either. Especially because he's going to challenge EVERY human he meets, so he's totally not safe, or reasonable to breed. He's stupid!!! Why attack the giant who brings food? Stupid! Mary

Mine can run and fly pretty well, and I'm NOT U. Bolt! If moving the nasty boy out of your way at all times, and generally moving him off fairly quietly, doesn't fix his problem, having that rodeo won't either. Especially because he's going to challenge EVERY human he meets, so he's totally not safe, or reasonable to breed. He's stupid!!! Why attack the giant who brings food? Stupid! Mary

Or is it possible that I had the only 'fast and agile' rooster? Are most aggressive roosters too slow to prevent a human from picking them up at will? Maybe I just had an unusual rooster who could run very fast.

No, my roosters are fast and agile too. You should see them chase the hens and run from me!! Actually, they are the survivors of a clutch of eggs hatched by a broody. I had four chicks, and these two made it to adulthood and are now crowing, etc. Their father was taken by a predator a few months ago. He was a buff laced Polish. These two cockerels are white leghorn/Polish crosses, so they are rather interesting looking. I treat them the same way I did their father as a youngster: I leave them alone and they leave me alone. I don't raise any issues with the hens with them around and they are fine with me and other humans. They come around, but stay back a good bit and move out of the way.

Funny sight this morning! I let the hens out of the coop (roosters fly up to the rafters in the barn to roost at night), and the boys were chasing the younger girls/pullets around. One decided to dance for an older RIR hen, and she was not having any of it. She gave him the stink eye, moved sideways away from him, and when he made his move, she pecked the crap out of him. He decided to move on after that. I'm glad the older hens are teaching them some manners. Those teenage hormones are very evident at the moment, though!

Some roosters are really amazing flock members that knows their place and looks after their flocks without ever causing issues, or show signs of aggression towards his hens, or humans. But sometimes a problem rooster crops up that shows either excessive aggression to his hens, or attacks humans. In this thread, please tell me your thoughts on how to best manage an aggressive rooster, specifically:

- What was your experience(s) with aggressive roosters and what did you try/do to remedy it?
- Should aggressive roosters be rehabilitated, rehomed, or invited for dinner?

For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

I don't know that I've ever met what most term an "aggressive" rooster in the past 50 yrs. Maybe because I never let any go or get that far? Only had 2-3 episodes in all that time where a rooster attempted to touch my body in a negative manner and all three birds were none that I had raised myself, but had come to me from elsewhere. Each time it happened, that was the last time it happened...and, no, that doesn't mean I killed them for it.
wink.png
They were easily shown that it wasn't acceptable behavior and then it never happened again.

I've been around and owned roosters all my life in some form or another, Grandma's farm, Uncle's farm, our own homestead, sibling's farms and other people's farms and places. Roosters of all breeds, ages, temperaments and sizes. We mostly had leghorns and RIR roosters on our own place when I was growing up but never had a problem with any of them, be they around kids, women, guests, etc.

My sister had 5-6 roosters at her place and a couple of Tom turkeys that she claimed attacked her every time she went outside, so she carried a buggy whip around to keep them off her. They never attacked her husband or any of the other guys, nor did they make any motions to attack me or my kids. She also had dogs she couldn't make mind but they would mind me on the briefest of acquaintances, so I think it had more to do with her weaker, anxious energy when it came to animals than it had anything to do with the roosters.

That seems to be a common refrain on BYC...a woman who gets attacked but her husband does not. Anyone standing outside the story should be able to determine it's not a bird problem, it's a human problem. That same human may get rid of those roosters and get another and that new one never attacks her, so she feels like it was quite obviously those bad roosters' fault. Or she may keep running into "aggressive" roosters and feel like they are all to be feared. At the center of it all is a person who lacks confidence around the rooster and fears them, so they invite attack from it where others may not.

If I ever encountered a rooster that could not be taught the dominion of humans over his kind, I'd likely cull it, but I've never met one yet. When I see repeated advice to newbies for them to kill a rooster that attacks them as being the best and even, in some posts, the ONLY solution, it makes no sense to me at all. I can't wrap my mind around such advice and I think it's all fear based, rather than anything to do with what is actually happening in that chicken's world. So, for me, I advise changing one's attitude about the animal, working on your own confidence levels and assertiveness, and then giving it a chance to learn how to behave around humans...ALL humans.

If he's worth feeding, he's worth training.

Here's an experiment....bring home a puppy and never give it any training on social skills around humans and see what you get. Some puppies need minimal training in that area and adapt easily into acceptable social interaction with humans...and some do not. Much like roosters, dogs have different abilities to cue into human life and how they fit into it. So do roosters...some require training and some do not. Do you give up on the dog because you neglected to train it as it was growing up? Give it away in the hopes you'll get one that doesn't need any training at all next time? Plenty of good dogs out there needing homes, no need to keep a "bad" dog, is there?

So, to answer the questions...I've never met an aggressive rooster, so can't comment on it. Do I think roosters deserve some effective training before one discards them like trash? Yep.

I don't know that I've ever met what most term an "aggressive" rooster in the past 50 yrs. Maybe because I never let any go or get that far? Only had 2-3 episodes in all that time where a rooster attempted to touch my body in a negative manner and all three birds were none that I had raised myself, but had come to me from elsewhere. Each time it happened, that was the last time it happened...and, no, that doesn't mean I killed them for it.
wink.png
They were easily shown that it wasn't acceptable behavior and then it never happened again.

I've been around and owned roosters all my life in some form or another, Grandma's farm, Uncle's farm, our own homestead, sibling's farms and other people's farms and places. Roosters of all breeds, ages, temperaments and sizes. We mostly had leghorns and RIR roosters on our own place when I was growing up but never had a problem with any of them, be they around kids, women, guests, etc.

My sister had 5-6 roosters at her place and a couple of Tom turkeys that she claimed attacked her every time she went outside, so she carried a buggy whip around to keep them off her. They never attacked her husband or any of the other guys, nor did they make any motions to attack me or my kids. She also had dogs she couldn't make mind but they would mind me on the briefest of acquaintances, so I think it had more to do with her weaker, anxious energy when it came to animals than it had anything to do with the roosters.

That seems to be a common refrain on BYC...a woman who gets attacked but her husband does not. Anyone standing outside the story should be able to determine it's not a bird problem, it's a human problem. That same human may get rid of those roosters and get another and that new one never attacks her, so she feels like it was quite obviously those bad roosters' fault. Or she may keep running into "aggressive" roosters and feel like they are all to be feared. At the center of it all is a person who lacks confidence around the rooster and fears them, so they invite attack from it where others may not.

If I ever encountered a rooster that could not be taught the dominion of humans over his kind, I'd likely cull it, but I've never met one yet. When I see repeated advice to newbies for them to kill a rooster that attacks them as being the best and even, in some posts, the ONLY solution, it makes no sense to me at all. I can't wrap my mind around such advice and I think it's all fear based, rather than anything to do with what is actually happening in that chicken's world. So, for me, I advise changing one's attitude about the animal, working on your own confidence levels and assertiveness, and then giving it a chance to learn how to behave around humans...ALL humans.

Here's an experiment....bring home a puppy and never give it any training on social skills around humans and see what you get. Some puppies need minimal training in that area and adapt easily into acceptable social interaction with humans...and some do not. Much like roosters, dogs have different abilities to cue into human life and how they fit into it. So do roosters...some require training and some do not. Do you give up on the dog because you neglected to train it as it was growing up? Give it away in the hopes you'll get one that doesn't need any training at all next time? Plenty of good dogs out there needing homes, no need to keep a "bad" dog, is there?

So, to answer the questions...I've never met an aggressive rooster, so can't comment on it. Do I think roosters deserve some effective training before one discards them like trash? Yep.

I see what you're saying but when I and most people get a puppy we research fully what we want and what we want him for, Bloodlines are looked into. Health screenings of the parents checked. Relatives checked to see if they are good representatives of the breed and do the job for which they are bred, and then the purchase is made with the hopes he will meet your expectations and have a good long, hopefully fifteen year life. I've spent several years looking for just the right dog
In our area even mixed breed puppies can sell for up to five hundred dollars.
On the other hand there are way more roosters than might be needed. If a meat breed they were bred to be eaten If a dual purpose breed only a few are needed to continue the flock, the rest are table fare and with egg laying breeds, hatcheries regularly dispose of their extras. So other than some which may be specialized, roosters aren't exactly a rare commodity. With that in mind it doesn't make sense to me to eat a really nice cockerel that has the temperament and ability to be a good flock rooster while his holy terror clutch mate is kept.
I usually hatch my own replacement chickens and this year I had ten extra cockerels of several varieties. No one showed a temperament of welcome to the stewpot (And I will try attitude adjustments which often work, but if not, as I said, roosters aren't exactly a rare commodity.) so I scrounged and scrounged and actually found homes for all except one who unfortunately was gotten by a fox.
The "worst" temperament was a really big guy who was a bit rough with the younger pullets, while avoiding the mature hens. He went to a home with a mature flock and settled in. I kept a good looking middle of the road guy, nice temperament and got along with everyone so I didn't see an immediate challenge to his father. Ten months later he is exactly as I though and the others have all worked out but with that many choices (And yes, I follow all the rules when they are young.) I've had some go to homes with young children. But I'm not sure if I would drive myself crazy trying to keep one that just didn't fit and made my and the other chickens' lives miserable despite our best efforts.

wink.png

EXCELLENT reply & I agree 150%.

i tried 2 different methods.
one was to pick the guy up and carry around for awhile. even upside down.
not as effective as my method 2
which was to use a stick on the back and isolate him from the hens. in this case "push" him to backyard and close the gate

my flock has full run of both front and back yards with a gate usually open.

after a few minutes up to an hour depending on what i am working on. i can go sit in the back yard and he will come up and sit on my lap. then i will carry him to front and place him on the ground. this usually works for a few days.

at one point in his life he led the flock on a misadventure out side of the yard and met his demise. i found out later we had possums in the area not seen for at least 50 years.
the hens were desperate to get back in side and were at different gates. now the flock rarely goes more than a few feet from an open gate and are easily induced to come back in with "special" treats.

I have a chocolate orpington roo. He's the sweetest, quite timid, thing right now. Can't remember exact age...5-7 months, maybe. He's smallish, so I'm guessing he's either slow-growing or bantam. Anyway, what are the chances he'll stay friendly? He doesn't crow, that I've ever heard yet.

Hi ShinShien,
I'm still pretty new. But I'm also in the same boat as you. Looks like one of my new Australorp is a Cockerel. I'm peeing, if I'm right, that his temperament with the hens a no d people is way better than our Golden Cuckoo Marans. I don't see how it could be e much worse. I'm praying it's at least 50/50, but to be more informed we both should probably read Rooster articles here in "article" section. My husband will not let me remove our Room permanently, so that's something we agree on or don't do.

Wow. This is just what I needed to read. Thank you. I will try confidence, but am really thinking my main man is filled with evil. :-/

Prevention is the best cure. Bad roosters taste good.

Edited April 2018: here's a copy paste of my management systems for bad roosters and raising the good ones, in case it's any use.

"Here is my viewpoint on raising and training cockerels. It's served me well for about fifty of them; I have only had two human aggressive cockerels and one of those was when I decided to handle the bird and treat him nicely, as shown in the next paragraph. The other was an interesting case I will outline later under 'special exceptions'. The breed of the bird has a large role in how firm you have to be and how friendly towards them you can get without sparking aggression. In general, Mediterranean class birds or those with a sleeker, upright look are the ones to watch out for and keep at arm's length. Larger dual purpose breeds tend to be more ho-hummety and docile. Bantams have spirit but they are smart and are pretty easily instructed to not be man fighters. These are gross generalizations and many, many birds are dead opposite of their breed traits, so don't get all mad and say your Leghorn cock was the sweetest thing on two legs and how dare I lie so bold facedly. ;) These are living creatures and they vary as much as people do. Genetics within a breed has an impact on potential for aggression too, but most of us have hatchery birds which aren't selected much one way or the other.

First off, it is my belief that there are two types of aggression: fear based and familiarity based. They need different treatments, and the fear based aggression is much harder to eliminate and may spin off from familiarity based. Sometimes—or even most times—there can be a share of both in a bird. Prevention is the best cure for these poor confused things. Fear based is characterized by the bird running away with feathers flat to body if confronted, a desperate look to them, and quick jerky movements. I'd describe the latter as how a squirrel moves. Their attacks are generally from behind and when you spin and confront him he runs away all in a tangle. My experience with it is as follows: I had a Sultan cockerel that was treated more human than chicken. He would run up to me and sit on my lap, follow me around in search of treats, and I had him trained to sit when I put gentle pressure on his back and even crawl out under the run fence when I lifted it up. He was a real sweetie. Then, as it does for all birds, maturity came. He became more distant and acted a bit off. Being a brand new chicken keeper with a year or less under my belt, I didn't do anything to correct him and gave him the same gentle treatment as always. I do not remember all the details, but I think it was at about 11 months that he snapped. He started running up to me whenever I came near and would whale and beat and do whatever he had in his little fluffy power to put bruises on me. He was quite successful at it too and managed to inflict bleeding even through a pair of stout boots. Well, unfortunately, I turned to the Internet for help, and it didn't give me much of it. I saw those that wouldn't even let the bird look at them. I tried that. He wasn't allowed to crow, mate, or come near me when I was in the coop. He was NOT injured in any way during this, really, but it sure scared him. Yeah, that backfired, and it turned into a lovely case of fear based aggression where he would sneak up on me, nail my boots, then run away in terror before I came after him. Then I saw the rooster huggers that hugged their meanies. I tried that to see if it would work even though he had been handled tons before the first incident. He was so terrified of me by that time that all that did was make him more scared. It started as a classic case of familiarity based aggression but unfortunately I did all the wrong things and it spiraled down to fear. Moral of the story? Don't copy me! If I ever had another fear based case (which shouldn't happen—this is so easy to prevent by handling them right) I would try moving calmer, slower, and be confident but avoid any strong body language. I might even spend time holding the bird. The reason why I think gentle and frequent handling might help in these cases is that these birds see us as threats, as hawks or dogs. They are being brave in their little minds and defending themselves and their beloved hens. This might have still worked for the aforementioned case if I had been willing to spend months working with him, but I was sick of not being able to enjoy the hens, and I didn't know then what I know now. So he was sold for slaughter.

Now for familiarity based. These are characterized by the males that stare you right in the face, that give you the figurative middle finger when you ask them to move out of the way, and attack you right from the front without any hesitation. Many times these are the hand raised brooder babies that were just darling as chicks. They have no respect for humans and a potty mouth like any Ottawanian. Like fear based, these are best off de-fused early before they attack, but if you are reading this in desperation for your little Fluffy, there are a few things to try. Change your body language to confident. This is especially helpful if the bird attacks only one member of the family or all but one member. Those are tip-offs that it's a body language issue. Keep your shoulders back but slightly relaxed, feet straight, and a soft but steady eye contact on an object that is not the cockerel. If you are a horse person, think of it as riding—look where you want to go, not where you're going. Make him move out of your way, never move out of his. Still, challenging the cock or cockerel at this point is a bad idea—don't do that! Ignore him in general, don't give your attention to him, and move briskly, but in a predictable manner. If he attacks again, immediately chase/kick/get him running and out of your space. I push them to about a metre and a half away, depending on how bad the bird is. After that, drop the aggression instantly. Watch your birds when they are not paying attention to you; if you have two cocks or cockerels you will see this method is how the dominant corrects the upstart. Short, forceful, and not sustained. That is a key point right there. Do not let him get within a metre and a half (or whatever distance you chose) of you, ever; chase him out the same as before. Even if he's coming to get food in the mornings he should still not be allowed closer than that. Be consistent. I have tried long and hard to decipher what I do with aggressive cocks and I think after a rush at the bird I copy to some extent the quarter turn/side exposed move the winning cock does to a lesser. I think it tells them "You have a choice. Come at me again, I'm still ready; or drop the matter now and I won't continue." Often they pause and then scurry away. All of the above should be done too if you have a bird showing warnings of aggression that I will detail later. It is better to prevent than to cure.

As a side note on interaction between cocks, have you ever noticed that sometimes the winning bird will chase and chase and chase the loser? That bird is then terrified of the winner and will nearly kill themselves trying to get away. They are de-throned sniveling wussies and that is why I think as humans that trying to take the 'rooster' role is a bad idea. We are not the rooster, we are a separate critter that demands respect. We are not present enough to keep the role of flock leader. When humans try this, I think that the cockerels are alone with the flock enough that they still think they control the flock yet they're scared out of their minds at the same time. If you're present enough that chasing the bird around all the time works, I'd suggest not bothering to own a rooster since you're probably roosting in the coop with the chooks at that point. :lol: What I am trying to say is speak their language, but don't try to be a chicken—they have a job to do, and for goodness' sakes, let them do it.

If you can identify early signs of aggression you can start correction early and save yourself much hassle. Birds that seem dangerous and possibly aggressive as cockerels can be trained up as lovely flock roosters with a bit of care and watching. Some of the most common pre-attack signs are as follows:
—The bird gets uncomfortably close, like your uncle Red asking you after a drunken Thanksgiving dinner if it was you that stole his watch last year.
—The bird stares at you from a distance and tries to get higher than you on objects.
—The bird drops one shoulder and shuffles at you in a sort of dance. Some times they pick up and drop rocks or items with their beak. When directed towards the ladies, this means he's trying to woo them, but it means aggression when directed at people. They'll seek out eye contact and have a rather villainous look on their faces.
—The bird takes to crowing pointedly in your direction when you enter or leave the area. I wouldn't really recommend this as something for a newbie to look for in terms of aggression as it's too easy to mistake regular crowing for aggressive. Nevertheless, I included it as it is something I have noted.
—His clucks take on sort of a low minor tone that swing up at the end. They're often chopped in sound and may be directed to hens, which is innocuous, so see the warning on the last item and apply it to this too.
—The bird moves his head around a lot and flips his wattles about like a girl playing with her hair. Weird analogy, I know, but for some reason I see excess movement of wattles as a big sign of what's going on in their brain. Learn 'normal' and then you can note these things.

If you see any of these start the same protocol as described in the familiarity based aggression section. Treat it just as severely as an actual attack. I have prevented several birds from going bad this way, including a Svarthona cockerel that was one of my best successes. He started displaying those signs above at about six months of age after admittedly being raised until then with rather lax methods. I immediately chased him two whole metres away (I didn't have enough time left to ease him into that distance gradually) and never let him get closer for months on end. No exceptions. He completely dropped all signs of aggression and became a model bird, not even looking in my direction. After several months, I gradually reduced that bubble size and let him become a bit friendlier again. Slowly is the key here, you can't just drop this one day and expect to be able to handle him easily. By the time he was a year old, I had reduced that bubble size to nearly nothing and he was perfectly behaved. He turned into one of my most respectful yet tame cocks and he was trustworthy around even children. Quite a change from a bird that acted ready to take an eye out.

Now, after that exhaustive bit on correction, here is my method of raising the birds so you never have to go to that much bother.

Starting from day one, I treat all the chicks the same, male or female. I don't have autosexing breeds so even if I wanted to vary treatment between the sexes I couldn't. They get cuddles, they learn humans are nice, and they get to live in the house for bit—because I can't resist how cute they are any more than you all can. I think this helps ward off later fear based aggression but I have no proof of that.

Once the young birds have hit a few weeks of age, they will be distant, rather grumpy due to pinfeathers, and in general go through a skittish stage of a few weeks to months. Some hens won't completely settle until lay. I don't force handing then, I let them do their own thing except for checkovers now and then. The cockerels should be able to be identified around this time. I don't re-tame them... I do re-tame the hens. That's pretty much what can make or break a cockerel, at least in my own experiences and observations.

With every cockerel that has reached that stage, I start slowly refusing to handle them even if they ask for it later. Cockerels are so friendly as juveniles (especially when compared to pullets) that it's hard not to, but you have to be tough even if he's asking nicely to get picked up. At the same time switch your body language towards him, which I hope was still fairly confident before. Do not move out of his way, make him move out of yours. Keep your shoulders square but relaxed, feet square, and move through him. Don't chase him, he's done nothing wrong, just demand respect by your stance. Don't directly challenge him; that would constitute of staring eye contact and a slightly sideways square posture. This is near exactly the instructions for aggressive cocks except it is more gentle. You don't have to make these changes suddenly, in fact, I suspect gradually is better so as not to confuse the poor hormonal thing. Have about a bubble of about a 1/3m to 2/3m radius (smaller than you would have for for prior offenders) around you and keep him out. If he walks in there, make a short lunge at him, kick if needed. No, I am not advocating throwing a rooster halfway across the yard because he walked too close to you, I mean a shove to move him away. You could do the same thing with the same intensity by bending over and giving the bird a little push with your hand, but using your feet is safer. Drop aggressive behaviour immediately after he jumps and runs away. I keep repeating this because it's important. If you watch the average cocks interacting, the dominant male keeps the lesser out of his space by short rushes. Chickens understand this sort of interaction and will quickly learn to stay out of your space.

Probably the best thing you could possibly do for your chances of getting a respectful cockerel is to not raise one with only same age pullets. They grow up thinking they're king of the world and no chook or human can cross them. Sure, it can work if you're careful; but I don't recommend it. If you must have only same age birds try having more than one so they keep each other in check. I don't recommend purchasing adult cocks either, it takes a while to learn to read them and get them to respect you. It can be done, sure, I've done it three times and they all worked eventually... I just much prefer raising them from chicks. So, what do you do if you're starting a flock? No same age cockerels, no brought in adults? I suggest getting only hens and raising them to maturity, then getting your straight run or whatever chicks and bringing them up with the hens. They will do much of the training that a cock would and make them learn to ask permission before mating and that they're not such big stuff. I did that, it worked, a friend of mine did that, and it worked too. By now I have anywhere from 5–15 cocks/cockerels year round and the older birds train the youngers beautifully. I don't have to do much work; they grow up knowing some things just need to be respected.

So, that is about what I do in terms of preventative behaviour. Once a cock gets to about 2 years of age (when he is truly mature IMHO) he's likely safe to tame if you still trust him then. I have a 3 year old cock that is now allowed to come up to me when I am sitting down and poke around by my feet. I pet him or mess with his wattles sometimes too, because he doesn't mind it and he's too cute to ignore. Why do I let only him do this? Because I trust him. He is the nicest testosterone filled animal I have met. I think he is truly safe in people now, and he was raised according to the above points. He has shown a slight sign of intended aggression (dropped shoulder, cocked head) once in his life, when he was little. I corrected him immediately and he's been an angel since.

Now, what about those special exceptions, those cockerels that are just the sweetest little cheese puffs and the other cockerels that are made of smouldering evil and make you taste fear in your throat when you do chores? Those exceptions are why you have to apply common sense and change your methods some times. Case one: an OEGB cockerel that was as wussy as jello and refused to stop being friendly. Even if I pushed him away he'd just look up at me with big doe eyes and wonder what he did wrong to make his mommy mad. He really seemed to be different. He was quiet, meek, and good with the hens even when he was well past the stage to have started hen-chasing. So, I let him be friendly, and I'm glad I did! He was the sweetest thing, and would come and interrupt picnics and beg for some food. He particularly liked cotton candy, the spoiled booger. He would come oversee all projects, whether it was changing the tyres or fixing the lawnmower or having a meet and greet for the foster dogs. He was a character, and children loved him. After a while he did grow a bit more distant but he was still quite respectful until he got killed by a dog at 10 months of age. :( We all miss him and I am glad I made an exception to my 'rules' for him.

Case two: a huge, brooding Australorp that almost scared me. He was raised the same way as every other cockerel, and he had two brothers that were sweet little guys. Not him. He was a biter from week one. Correction didn't seem to have an impact on him. He would accept it then turn around and bite again. He would bite if you came close, not in an aggressive manner, just as a that's-what-you-get-for-coming-here type of thing and that is why he creeped me out. Repeated attempts to get him moving out of my space did nearly nothing. I had to shove him out of my space every time I came near—he would not move much on his own even after lots of work. I dialed up the severity of my pushes with some success. By the time he was 6 months old he'd grudgingly slurp out of my space when I approached. He stopped biting at puberty, but that eerie foreboding look still lingered. He made no outward moves to be aggressive, but I still trusted him as far as I can throw a polar bear. Which isn't far, by the way. He aged to about nine months... and then one day he finally attacked. I immediately sent him running about three metres and repeated that every single time he came near. He settled back down a bit and did not attack me again but he still felt like a bomb and a match stuck in a concrete mixer. I couldn't keep this monstrous and brooding thing around to possibly severely injure children—or me. So, after much misery and deliberation, I butchered him for the table.

Anyway, that's a long spiel about nothing, eh? I am sure I have forgotten some points, especially since body language is mostly instinctual and hard to describe. There are probably things I do that I don't even know about. :idunno This seems an exhaustive list but it is really only describing what some people do instinctively and others have to learn. Even I am not always strict with them.... just today I picked up and carried around one of my Chantecler cockerels for a while, just because he's so big and fluffy. He disliked it, but tuff luck for him, lol. Remember too that these things are generalizations, as the last two special cases show. Some have luck with other methods, but this one works for me. You will see as many opinions as you see flock keepers and you have to find which one works for you. Some even say that treatment of the bird has no effect on their end temperament, including the famous Kathy Mormino, AKA The Chicken Chick.

As seems to be my custom, I'll likely find some key point I missed in an hour and have to edit it in. One other thing I couldn't find where to put was that tapping on the head with a finger is a great way to correct young birds. It is exactly what an older bird would do to reprimand a younger one and they get the point instantly. It works decently on older birds as well, especially aggressive pullets/hens."

Back
Top Bottom