Topic of the Week - Chicken behaviour and flock dynamics - Part 1 - The pecking order

I have a big flock and seeing the pecking order play out is always interesting. I have about 6 hens from my first batch of chickens still with me and they seem to rule the roost. The rooster does a good job of breaking up fights here and there. Have never had a bloody fight, or a bully hen (thank you to whatever guardian chicken angel is looking over my flock). We hatch babies a couple times a year and I always have to remind myself (well, mostly my hubby because he has such a soft heart and can't stand to see the babies getting chased off or kicked off a roost) that it's normal for the big girls to pick on them a bit.
I think my favorite part is watching the big girls pick on a young rooster. I always get a kick out of that! You go girls, get him while you can! 🤭

As a mere human, I have no way to mind-control my flock and tell them that possessing a pecking order is only a rude way to establish who is higher than the other. So, there is nothing I can do about the pecking order other than group chickens into separate pens and areas of the yard, and bring them inside if anyone falls ill or gets injured. I believe the pecking order is an interesting part of chicken-keeping to study; sitting down and watching my flock sort itself out is somehow entertaining, as long as nobody gets harmed. It is natural for chickens to have a social hierarchy, and I cannot tell them otherwise.

Contrary to all of what I said above, I did have one incident where the pecking order did get in the way. One of my Easter Egger pullets, Lavender, was one of the sweetest in the flock. But, you could take one look at her and know she was the lowest on the pecking order. Lavender drooped her tail, held her head down, walked very slowly, and was consistently getting pecked away from resources. She looked sad in general, and she slept on the ground every night. Lavender eventually fell ill and passed away. I am glad no other chicken has followed in her footsteps of being the over-bullied flock member.

I think my favorite part is watching the big girls pick on a young rooster. I always get a kick out of that! You go girls, get him while you can! 🤭
My four-year-old California Gray hen, Fantail, apparently hates roosters and cockerels. She kicks the males in the face randomly and will do everything she can to stop them from attempting to breed her!

Back
Top Bottom