Topic of the Week - Cleaning and Storing Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sumi, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Allie Grace Sanders

Allie Grace Sanders Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2017
    Indiana
    Thanks!

2. Abriana

Abriana Chicken Obsessed

Apr 26, 2017
    the swan pond
    You should always wash in warm water-not hot or cold. Although it is better to scrub with a dry paper towel sometimes washing is needed.
    Because a hen coats the egg with a protective coating called the bloom, fresh laid eggs do not need refrigeration. But if you wash the eggs, you wash the coating off and then they will need to be stored in the fridge.
    I keep my eggs in a wire basket with a towel (covered in chickens of course!) lining it. That way, if an egg breaks, the basket can be washed and so can the towel.

One last thing! Have you noticed that it is really hard to peel fresh hard boiled eggs? If you steam them and then put them in a bowl of ice and water, let them sit for a bit, and then the shell literally pops off in two pieces.

Chickencountryuk likes this.
  3. Footsore

Footsore Just Hatched

Aug 12, 2017
    Hi
    I never wash ! My grandparents had a poultry farm ...all free range and he always taught me never to put in water ,well rung cloth to gently wipe any mucky bits off.

Never put in a fridge, I store in a skelter, never have many spare, we give away what we cant eat
    ,I get a real buzz from friends ,family saying how yummy they are

4. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chicken Obsessed

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    CONFUSED but think the main thing to remember is wash with WARM water.

I've been collect eggs daily (4 BOs), when the egg carton is full I put in the frig. Wash under tap water before using. When I give eggs to family (frig), let them know I haven't was he the eggs to wash prior to using.

Have read to wash prior to putting in the frig. Store unwashed when not in the frig. Read eggs should be washed with water 20* warmer than the egg?

Now I'm confused as to what tell family. I started storing in the frig cause it got warm (no AC) during the summer months (90s). My girls have been laying since last Oct.

5. happyhens1972

happyhens1972 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Worcester, UK
    As stated, this would never happen, however, make sure you collect your eggs daily and if you ever find one that you suspect may have been laid on by a hen, discard it. I left someone to look after my flock while I was away on holiday for ten days. I warned them to collect daily, even twice daily, as I had a very broody hen but they were not so vigilant...it resulted in them cracking an egg open for an omelette, to find an embryo of about 5 or 6 days old. They didn't eat another egg for almost a year after that!!

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Here's part of my previous post in this thread, with some editing,
    does that make sense?:

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  7. driver

driver Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    I put mine in the refrigerator unwashed. I have a rotating carton system, where I write a number on each carton. New eggs go in the highest numbered carton, eggs are used from the lowest number. Right now, I have cartons 11, 12 & 13 in there.

WhatAboutBob? and Abriana like this.
  8. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chicken Obsessed

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Thank you aart & driver, after reading ALL night & have been accused of being an "over thinker" :oops: I'm ok doing it my way. I too have a rotating system with egg cartons, our tap water IS warmer than eggs out of the frig. A friend of mine works at the Dept of Ag, she was assured in the frig unwashed is fine, washing before using.

I so do VALUE all your experiences & knowledge :hugs
    Thank you BYC for having this site:love

9. Chickencountryuk

Chickencountryuk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2018
    North Notts, UK
    My Coop
    I have a basket on the side in kitchen. I fill 1/2 dozen egg boxes and date the box. I am getting 10-14 eggs a day at the moment. I only clean them if there really mucky. I then keep them in the fridge. I don't really sell them but sometimes I get given a bit of cash toward feed. We get through alot of eggs in my house so I never have eggs more than a week old.

10. aquabum

aquabum Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2017
    All of our eggs stay on the counter. I have had them for about 2-4 weeks sometimes! Maybe longer sometimes! Never had a bad one. If it's dirty, I wash before use! A little chicken poo or dirt isn't going to hurt anything! Just wash off before use so that it doesn't come in contact with the part you're eating!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by