Topic of the Week - Deworming chickens

Pics
Thank you both for that. I probably should wait for more responses to see how far others’ chickens roam but I would like to try and explain why I asked the question.

As mentioned, I read a lot that ‘they free range all day’ but if they are not wandering far from their home or food source, I can not see how a lot of chickens ‘free ranging’ over the same area every day would be ‘healthier’ than a small amount of chickens wandering around in a large run?

I guess what I am trying to say is that ‘free ranging’ might be given more credit that it deserves and if the numbers are right, chickens in a run can be just as healthy and happy.

Thank you both for that.  I probably should wait for more responses to see how far others’ chickens roam but I would like to try and explain why I asked the question.

As mentioned, I read a lot that ‘they free range all day’ but if they are not wandering far from their home or food source, I can not see how a lot of chickens ‘free ranging’ over the same area every day would be ‘healthier’ than a small amount of chickens wandering around in a large run? 

I guess what I am trying to say is that ‘free ranging’ might be given more credit that it deserves and if the numbers are right, chickens in a run can be just as healthy and happy.

I guess it depends on what you consider ' free range ' . If mine are locked up in their 5x3m coops I consider that they have no option to range, however they can and do keep themselves occupied in the various open runs that would be the size of an average suburban backyard.
Commercial farming is of course different. They have thousands of birds on a couple of acres and rotate the flocks once the ground is bereft of grass and goodies.

I guess it depends on what you consider ' free range ' . If mine are locked up in their 5x3m coops I consider that they have no option to range, however they can and do keep themselves occupied in the various open runs that would be the size of an average suburban backyard.
Commercial farming is of course different. They have thousands of birds on a couple of acres and rotate the flocks once the ground is bereft of grass and goodies.

True :)

The definition of 'free range' is probably the key and that would be a whole different subject which probably exists on another thread
wink.png

Sorry for kind of going off topic, I was just interested in how far they range.

True :)

The definition of 'free range' is probably the key and that would be a whole different subject which probably exists on another thread ;)

Sorry for kind of going off topic, I was just interested in how far they range.   

Mine tend to visit most areas of my two acres at some point every few days, which means they get a more diverse assortment of vegetation and critters (bugs, shrews,etc) and have less interaction with their own fecal matter. The areas are able to recover from the mild grazing on plants and bugs easier than what happens in most runs, especially with the digging. Unless you have a very large run and very few birds, they tend to become bare ground before long. Now, I have something like 60 birds. So that is essentially .03 acres or 1400 sq ft per bird after subtracting the footprint of our house and garage. To have a run like that, you'd need a 70x100 run for 5 birds.

Personally I deworm only if I see worms or if I see obvious symptoms of worms.

Signs of worms include lethargy, weight loss, increased consumption of feed, irregular droppings, and obvious worms found in feces.

I use Wazine for roundworms and Praziquantel for tapeworms. Though I'm currently trying to find either a flockwide way to dose Praziquantel or an alternative dewormer... I've discovered my birds have tapeworms again (danged ducks keep eating earthworms) and I don't fancy holding down nearly 200 birds and individually dosing them. It was difficult enough with 100 birds.

In my experience, most natural methods are worthless, particularly when it come to parasites. I'd happily embrace them if they worked but... they certainly don't seem to.

I don't eat eggs for a few days after Wazine and a few weeks after Praziquantel. I doubt they'd hurt me but since neither substance is necessary in my body I may as well avoid it.

I've wormed my birds and I've incubated eggs, but not in the same time period.

Personally I deworm only if I see worms or if I see obvious symptoms of worms.

Signs of worms include lethargy, weight loss, increased consumption of feed, irregular droppings, and obvious worms found in feces.

I use Wazine for roundworms and Praziquantel for tapeworms. Though I'm currently trying to find either a flockwide way to dose Praziquantel or an alternative dewormer... I've discovered my birds have tapeworms again (danged ducks keep eating earthworms) and I don't fancy holding down nearly 200 birds and individually dosing them. It was difficult enough with 100 birds.

In my experience, most natural methods are worthless, particularly when it come to parasites. I'd happily embrace them if they worked but... they certainly don't seem to.

I don't eat eggs for a few days after Wazine and a few weeks after Praziquantel. I doubt they'd hurt me but since neither substance is necessary in my body I may as well avoid it.

I've wormed my birds and I've incubated eggs, but not in the same time period.

Did you know that Wormout Gel is a water soluble wormer that contains praziquantel and oxfendazole? Dose is 47 ml per gallon for two days.

-Kathy

Edited to add: Neither drug is FDA approved for use in laying hens. Withdrawal time is probably 2 weeks or more.

Last edited:
Thank you both for that. I probably should wait for more responses to see how far others’ chickens roam but I would like to try and explain why I asked the question.

I think free range deserves all the credit it gets. It is the natural way to keep chickens. My yard is probably an acre & a half. They mostly stay in the backyard. I have all kinds of shrubs & bushes that they like to lay under, dirt holes they like to wallow in......the freedom to go where & when they want. They don't go very far. They have grass, bugs, etc. Most all pens I have seen are bare ground & they have no choice in how to spend their day. The mental aspect of that alone. I have always equated that to a person living their life confined to a bedroom....day after day in the same space. Physically their condition will not be good because they are not getting enough exercise. Horses were not intended to live in stalls, dogs in crates, etc. etc. They need a LIFE both mentally & physically. They need to live as mother nature intended for them to live.

Back
Top Bottom