Topic of the Week - Drakes and Drake Behaviour

Pics
Pardon the double post. I was doing some research, and I found that prolapsed penises happen a lot in drakes that have the duck plague (Duck Viral Enteritis, or DVE), which I thought was interesting. I wonder why that is?
Believe me I know it all..He is healthy and produces fantastic Ducklings..He has no illness.

I have one drake with 2 females. The ratio seems to be good so far, but I know spring/summer may be different and I have preparations in place for when that time comes for separation.

My drake definitely guards his flock when we come out or the dog goes into the backyard. He hasn't tried anything....but he's like the ghosts in Super Mario...when you aren't looking he sneaks up, but when you turn and face him he stops or walks the other way. (My kids play that game and we saw that level and laughed so hard, saying that is exactly what Gerald does, he's also grey/white). I think this is normal behavior and I'm waiting to see what he does. He is never aggressive...just sneaky. We can pet the girls while giving treats and whatnot, he just stands behind them and talks to us.

Also his neck fluffs up when we are out there. The kids laugh and say he has a mohawk...guessing this is also more of his territorial drake behavior?

I tried having a drake with my girls a few times but none of them worked out ~ the first 2 freaked out my youngest daughter (when she was a teenager) and she thought he was killing the girls ~ she kept running out back and screaming at them ~ and the last one we tried wouldnt allow my oldest disabled hen into the coop during a freezing rain storm and she was shivering covered in ice ~ that was it for him~ no more drakes here since

IF I had 2 call drakes to 3 normal females do you think I’d be able to keep them together? Or would I have to keep the hens separate or would have to do 1 or 2 hens per drake?

Back
Top Bottom