Topic of the Week - Drakes and Drake Behaviour

Sorry about your drake :hugs

That's not a normal thing that happens though, that's a penile prolapse. If only the tip was exposed and died it will fall off and he may still have enough of his penis left to breed again. But if too much falls off he'll be infertile. None of what falls off will grow bad, sadly. That's why if a prolapse occurs it's important to try to fix it ASAP. As they get older and more infirm, it definitely is more likely to happen than it is to happen to younger drakes, but it can happen to young ones too. If it all possible you want to get the prolapse fixed before the tissue dies off.
No, not a prolapsed penis..He will be fine.

I have read that exposure after a time if the penis can't be retracted will cause it to die and fall off [the part left exposed] but the other about it falling off annually I heard was a myth I'll have to go read up on that.
I searched high and low for a study or credible source that says a duck's penis will "fall off" and could not find one. I've had many breeds of drakes and have never had a drake lose any part of his penis. :idunno

Edited to add:
A penis that doesn't retract will probably die, and the part that dies will fall off.

Last edited:
No, not a prolapsed penis..He will be fine.

Glad he will be fine :) In eleven years of having ducks, luckily I have never had a prolapsed penis or any that have had their penises left outside the body and lost the tip. Sorry you're having to go through this, I would bet it was really stressful when you first noticed it.

Glad he will be fine :) In eleven years of having ducks, luckily I have never had a prolapsed penis or any that have had their penises left outside the body and lost the tip. Sorry you're having to go through this, I would bet it was really stressful when you first noticed it.
Yes..I almost had a prolapse myself..:gig
It's only the tip. He was in my house bathing and I Vaselined his doodle daily. Bathed him..He is turning 5 I believe and my expensive Call Drake Casanova..:barnie
I trust the information I got and yes, some of your information is correct too..All I'm saying is yes, penises on Drakes can fall off in a sense and will grow back..If a total prolapse and it turns black and falls off totally.. Then no he won't grow a new one..

Pardon the double post. I was doing some research, and I found that prolapsed penises happen a lot in drakes that have the duck plague (Duck Viral Enteritis, or DVE), which I thought was interesting. I wonder why that is?
I wonder that too.

Pardon the double post. I was doing some research, and I found that prolapsed penises happen a lot in drakes that have the duck plague (Duck Viral Enteritis, or DVE), which I thought was interesting. I wonder why that is?
Believe me I know it all..He is healthy and produces fantastic Ducklings..He has no illness.

Back
Top Bottom