Topic of the Week - Duck Hens 101

My ducks stand right outside the door of their coop just before dark and wait for me to guide them in. Eventually though if I get home late for some reason they'll put themselves to bed. I don't know why yours are acting like that.

For medium sized ducks they need at least 2.5 to 6 sq ft of space each in their nighttime housing, for 3 of them that's at least 3'×3' to 4'×5'... for their run, they need at least 10 to 25 sq ft of space each and for 3 that is at least 6'×5' to 9'×9'...

Bigger is always better, but those are minimums... hope that helps... :)
Thank you! Can they sleep in the coop at night with the chickens?

In my opinion, 15 with 3 ducks *might* be pushing it... will depend on if the chickens accept the ducks in with them well or not... you definitely can try it, but I would have a backup plan ready to implement if issues arise...
What kinds of issues? I think my hens are pretty accepting

The pen is two hundred square feet and moveable don’t know if that would make a difference I move it every two months or so.

What kinds of issues? I think my hens are pretty accepting

They might accept them just fine, but they might not... keep in mind, chickens and ducks are different species... they have different social dynamics, different lifestyles and different languages even... raising them together makes for more acceptance from both sides, but introducing to an already established flock *can be* tricky...

Watch for excessive pecking, harassing and bullying...

IMG_20171215_101039dck.jpg

These 3 are only now starting to understand that their coop is not a bad thing and I hope they end up walking inside on their own at night. For a few months my ducklings did that, but then, their pond just enchanted them and they chose the water to be their resting place.
They stopped fighting when it's time for bed. I just show up with a long bamboo pole (I used it to get them out of the pond) and poke it towards them. Then they slowly jump out of the pond (they take some time to do that), shake off the water and slowly walk towards their house.

Ducks need discipline. They are like feathered soldiers with bills. They march together and you need to tell them what to do. They end up doing it without questions when they finally accept the routine. It does take some time to get there though. Especially if you're overly "soft" with them.

Back
Top Bottom