Topic of the Week - Duck Hens 101

Three is good, I was definitely concerned that one might get eaten and there would be only one left. I just wanted a second opinion, thanks!!

If you're concerned that they could get eaten, I would wait on getting any until they have a fully secure setup for them... duck is very much a predator favorite, and they're more likely than chickens to sit close to a fence at night making it easy for coons, etc, to reach through and pull them apart... it's a horrible thing to happen, but it does... just a thought...

If you're concerned that they could get eaten, I would wait on getting any until they have a fully secure setup for them... duck is very much a predator favorite, and they're more likely than chickens to sit close to a fence at night making it easy for coons, etc, to reach through and pull them apart... it's a horrible thing to happen, but it does... just a thought...
I lock them up at dusk, and would put them in the coop before dusk if that is a risk. Since spring is kinda far (sigh) I have time to think up a covered run. I am planning to do it with hardware cloth. How big should I make it for two to three ducks? Plus space for pool and feeders and water.

I lock them up at dusk, and would put them in the coop before dusk if that is a risk. Since spring is kinda far (sigh) I have time to think up a covered run. I am planning to do it with hardware cloth. How big should I make it for two to three ducks? Plus space for pool and feeders and water.

Good thinking ahead! :)
Size depends on what breed or breeds you are looking at... bantam ducks can utilize a much smaller nighttime housing, lightweights need a bit bigger, and heavyweight breeds need the most room...

10x10 and secure...Don't start humming and hawing now...It gets worse carrying pails of water and feed two or three times a day in cold temps...lol...

I honestly don't know what the ratio is, lol... I don't believe in any set number... I have a lot of drakes... and a lot of ducks... you have to go with what works for your flock...

But what works for mine is having the older, Alpha females... young drakes growing up learn respect very early here... so there is very little issues with drakes when they get older... there's some chest feather pulling between the drakes occasionally, to see who gets to try to court a given female, but they don't get out of line with the girls... if they do, the Alpha females put them back in their place... :)

It sounds like you have a very well established flock. :)
I used to only have females, but now I have two grey mallard drakes with my two snowy mallard hens and my one grey crested mallard hen. And just a few days ago I rescued a malnourished jumbo pekin drake from a retention pond by a Lowes parking lot and introduced my other group of 17 females. The intro went well and he is now a very happy guy with all his ladies. I named him Theodore. :D

It sounds like you have a very well established flock. :)
I used to only have females, but now I have two grey mallard drakes with my two snowy mallard hens and my one grey crested mallard hen. And just a few days ago I rescued a malnourished jumbo pekin drake from a retention pond by a Lowes parking lot and introduced my other group of 17 females. The intro went well and he is now a very happy guy with all his ladies. I named him Theodore. :D
That's my Mini Horses name....We call him Ted...

Back
Top Bottom