Topic of the Week - Emergency/First Aid Preparedness

I'm really glad you didn't tell me the Chap Stick was for your bird's chapped lips
gig.gif
gig.gif
If it was lipstick...now THAT would be funny!!! (Yes, I just went there.)
tongue.png

I have bought a small bottle of castor oil in the laxative aisle at WalMart for under $3, and they have a liter online for $12.
Hmmmm...ok. Thank you for that information.
smile.png

I couldn't find castor oil at our Walmarts, and they don't list it online other than being in facials or bikini waxes.
The bottle I bought at a drugstore chain was 100ml for $5. Darn.
hmm.png

Last edited:
I have bought a small bottle of castor oil in the laxative aisle at WalMart for under $3, and they have a liter online for $12.

Hmmmm...ok. Thank you for that information.
smile.png

I couldn't find castor oil at our Walmarts, and they don't list it online other than being in facials or bikini waxes.
The bottle I bought at a drugstore chain was 100ml for $5. Darn.
hmm.png

I picked up a small bottle just today at our Walmart for the same price Eggcessive paid for her's. I did have to ask the pharmacist where it was located, it was sort of hidden down on the bottom shelf.

At least you have some Wicked...guess maybe your Walmart in Canada has some different stuff than we have here in the States.

I picked up a small bottle just today at our Walmart for the same price Eggcessive paid for her's. I did have to ask the pharmacist where it was located, it was sort of hidden down on the bottom shelf.

At least you have some Wicked...guess maybe your Walmart in Canada has some different stuff than we have here in the States.
I'll ask next time I'm in Walmart.
thumbsup.gif

Hi, I am new to this and one of my chickens has recently had a spot of fethers pecked off by my other hens, is there anything I should put on it, or any supplies I should go get for it.

Hi, I am new to this and one of my chickens has recently had a spot of fethers pecked off by my other hens, is there anything I should put on it, or any supplies I should go get for it.
Welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif

Blu Kote can be used to kill/prevent any infection and will also ward off constant pecking.Chickens that are confined are more likely to peck each other due to boredom.Another cause may be a nutritional deficiency they will eat the feathers for protein.How big is your chicken coop?What do you feed them?

Last edited:
I have a hen with a picked (maybe?) bare area about an inch below her vent that is about the size of an orange. She is till laying fine even though it's winter but her skin is red and inflamed in the area. I soaked her in a salt bath the other day and put antibiotic ointment on and will put more ointment on today. Is there anything else I should do? Does she need to be seperated? She is acting perfectly normal. I'm just concerned about the skin infection getting worse.

I have a hen with a picked (maybe?) bare area about an inch below her vent that is about the size of an orange. She is till laying fine even though it's winter but her skin is red and inflamed in the area. I soaked her in a salt bath the other day and put antibiotic ointment on and will put more ointment on today. Is there anything else I should do? Does she need to be seperated? She is acting perfectly normal. I'm just concerned about the skin infection getting worse.

Can you post a picture? And have you checked her for lice and mites?

Back
Top Bottom