Topic of the Week - Emergency/First Aid Preparedness

I signed up for the newsletter, and her youtube and Pintrest. Learned so muc halready, thank you so much!

There's always something new to learn...that's what's so great about BYC, everyone sharing what they have learned.

So us new comers can learn from the masters :)
big_smile.png

Grab another hen and compare the two.

I was finally able to grab a couple other hens. She feels the same as the other cuckoo marrans I have. Different than all the other girls tho. I'm glad I have one of the same breed to compare. If it's not picking then honestly I'm at a loss. I've looked all over and have seen this same issue multiple places with not real advice other than check for mice/lice. Otherwise I wouldn't be asking here.

I had a rooster with his whole underside like that. I didn't see anything. I gave him a bath which made no difference. (I thought perhaps irritation to something)
idunno.gif

And then I dusted him and red coted his legs late fall. I don't remember what the outcome was. I will nab him and check when I go out.

I had a rooster with his whole underside like that. I didn't see anything. I gave him a bath which made no difference. (I thought perhaps irritation to something) :idunno

And then I dusted him and red coted his legs late fall. I don't remember what the outcome was. I will nab him and check when I go out.
Okay do you think it could be an allergic reaction to something?

Okay do you think it could be an allergic reaction to something?
Now that I've been thinking about it, I believe I red coted his underside where the irritation was and left it. Because he was all red and I got him twice with red cote on his legs, once before dusting and once after. I bathed him when there was no improvement with the red cote. (red cote is oily) It seems to me I dusted him for parasites and he cleared up.

By the time I got out to catch him...they were all roosting for the night, but I can't see him. Everyone was in their place and calm so I'll look tomorrow. I didn't want to get 40 roosters stirred up...lol.

Last edited:
Let us know.. may be onto something.. could try fermented food, the lady that has that link for the holistic first aid kit for chickens had a video about it on her youtube. Fermented foods are good fro allergies. I give kefir to my dog and cat for allergies & yeast infection of the skin & ears.

Now that I've been thinking about it, I believe I red coted his underside where the irritation was and left it. Because he was all red and I got him twice with red cote on his legs, once before dusting and once after. I bathed him when there was no improvement with the red cote. (red cote is oily) It seems to me I dusted him for parasites and he cleared up.

By the time I got out to catch him...they were all roosting for the night, but I can't see him. Everyone was in their place and calm so I'll look tomorrow. I didn't want to get 40 roosters stirred up...lol.

*IMPORTANT - After considering what I wrote above, I'd like to make a strong note that no one should go out and spray their chicken or chickens with red cote if you are not familiar with how they'll react. That's like putting a "kick me" sign on someone, except in the case of chickens it's a "pick-on-me" or "eat me" sign. Many chickens don't respond favorably to chickens that appear to have blood on them.

I haven't had any picking or interest in blood with my flock. I also regularly use red and pink livestock marker on my chickens. At this point I feel quite confident with having red (and even blood) in my flock but I realize this is not the case for everyone.

I wanted to make a special note of this for anyone reading this now or at a later date in the future.

Back
Top Bottom