Topic of the Week - Feeding Ducks

Pics
View attachment 1222727 As for the treats mine loves kale, watermelon, peas, apples and mealworms. Just remember its all in moderation, as I recently found out from the vet. Mr. Ted here is getting too much vitamin A, hence the reason why he looks yellow! I was feeding them Kale every morning but I now have to reduce it to only twice a week.
Wow he is totally yellow! Good to know.

I changed to Purina flock raiser after all the dumor bags i tried had bugs in them.i haven't had a problem with bugs since. Kid at tsc thought i was hallucinating, so i bought two bags just so i could open them up and show them. They took every bag down after that.
I also feed them dried mealworms and niacin added to feed. Speedy loves blueberries and fancy loves pomegranates, so those i use as special treats. Fancy likes frozen corn, speedy will only eat it after its thawed and warmed a little - she doesnt like anything cold, not even water. Hot tub bathes only, or she won't set a flipper in it. She gets cold kinda easy, and when she does she just climbs up on me and snuggles in. They both like to raid the cats' and dog's dish, they never did take to anything green, except brussel sprouts, mixed with rolled oats and cracked corn. I've tried to get them to eat peas a bunch of times because i like both peas and corn frozen myself but neither like peas. Or squash or zucchini, going to try again on those two because they're my favorites.
Because of her bill, speedy still prefers softer stuff over the harder to smash up stuff, but she's working on it. She'll take small crunchy stuff and chew that up. fancy can bite rather hard <i have the hickies to prove it, he sometimes forgets to be gentle when he gets scared and digs in.>, so he'll try to eat almost anything.
Speedy thinks she should be eating anything mama is, so i have to make sure if i can't share it, she can't get to it. Fancy wants everything speedy has, and its funny because half the time what she likes he lolks at us as if we're eating poo after he tries it, lol. - im not sure if they're alright or not, it's only small pieces. Anyhow, i am only allowed sugar free stuff, so i have sugar free popsicles and speedy loves to share them, fancy tries everytime and everytime, he spits it out and looks at me as if i fed him poo!

Can ducks eat hen layer? That’s what I plan to feed my ducks when I get them come spring. Also any thoughts on ducks and chickens living together? I also have a rooster.

You will get many thoughts on these two questions..I do not feed my Ducks layer, nor do I house them with Chickens...
Any specific reasons why? I’m thinking about doing a covered run to protect them from hawks/other predators so they won’t be with the chickens.

Any specific reasons why? I’m thinking about doing a covered run to protect them from hawks/other predators so they won’t be with the chickens.
My Ducks have never liked the Chickens..Not for even a second...The Ducks chase the Chickens. I then had a loose Orpington and she landed on a Call and hurt her..

My Ducks have never liked the Chickens..Not for even a second...The Ducks chase the Chickens. I then had a loose Orpington and she landed on a Call and hurt her..
What breed do you have? I’m getting blue Swedish. I know someone who keeps ducks and chickens together. Would it be better if the ducks were raised in the flock from ducklings? That’s what I’m planning on.

What breed do you have? I’m getting blue Swedish. I know someone who keeps ducks and chickens together. Would it be better if the ducks were raised in the flock from ducklings? That’s what I’m planning on.
You can try it...?
See what happens but be prepared for changes if needed ?

Back
Top Bottom