Topic of the Week - Feeding Ducks

Pics
I decided to keep feeding layer to my birds because it's $6 cheaper... at a bag or more a week, that adds up.. I have yet to see any solid evidence in my or my neighbour's birds that is indicative of damage from the calcium, even in birds that are over 8 years old. I think the management style makes a difference; a free ranging bird would eat less and get less calcium.

Just my take on it; I know many won't agree.
Cost is my main reason for doing it, that and I can't get a pelleted all flock.

Cost is my main reason for doing it, that and I I can't get a pelleted all flock.
Another good point. Ducks waste so much crumble.

In 2014--2015-ish I fed my birds crumble/mash and had a trio of ducks in there somewhere. When I emptied the water bowls, there was always a good inch of food sludge in the bottom. So wasteful. I moved the water away from the food but they still filled it up.

Another good point. Ducks waste so much crumble.

In 2014--2015-ish I fed my birds crumble/mash and had a trio of ducks in there somewhere. When I emptied the water bowls, there was always a good inch of food sludge in the bottom. So wasteful. I moved the water away from the food but they still filled it up.
Exactly!

I give mine peas because they love them so much. Peas and tomatoes are their favorite veggies. I think some like to give them peas because they are also a source of niacin.

I see no problem giving layer feed to adult hens, even for the few months they are in molt it probably doesn’t hurt their kidneys to have the extra calcium. They might need a protein boost though. But I don’t think it should be given to ducklings.

I might not have a large flock but I do have three ducks. My drake is a buff and my two hens are Cayuga and Black Swedish. They love it when we add dry rice to their food. As for treats, we hang lettuce leaves from the sides of the coop so they can peck at it. I don't know why but they love the leaves from our backyard trees.
I know you aren’t supposed to give wild birds dry rice because it can expand once they eat it and kill them. That’s why lots of people are now tossing bird seed at weddings. I don’t know for sure if the same concept applies to ducks but I would assume it does. You may want to look into it. Cooked rice is a good treat.

My ducks liked to eat the leaves from the peach tree. Maybe because it was the only one low enough for them to reach. :D

I give mine peas because they love them so much. Peas and tomatoes are their favorite veggies. I think some like to give them peas because they are also a source of niacin.
Being the way I am, lol, I'm gonna take a look at the actual nutritional content of frozen peas. :D

I see no problem giving layer feed to adult hens, even for the few months they are in molt it probably doesn’t hurt their kidneys to have the extra calcium. They might need a protein boost though. But I don’t think it should be given to ducklings.
I figure my hens and drakes eat so much other stuff while free ranging that the calcium in the layer feed is a non-issue. If they need a protein boost, I can always get a higher percentage layer.

Back
Top Bottom