Topic of the Week - Feeding Ducks

Pics
Ventriculus (Gizzard)
The ventriculus, or gizzard, is a part of the digestive tract of birds, reptiles, earthworms, and fish. Often referred to as the mechanical stomach, the gizzard is made up of two sets of strong muscles that act as the bird's teeth and has a thick lining that protects those muscles (see Figure 5). Consumed feed and the digestive juices from the salivary glands and proventriculus pass into the gizzard for grinding, mixing, and mashing.

Inside_gizzard.jpg

Fig. 5. Inside of a chicken gizzard, with the internal lining removed. Source: Jacquie Jacob, University of Kentucky

When allowed to free-range, chickens typically eat small stones. The acidic environment in the proventriculus softens the stones, and then the strong muscles of the gizzard grind them into tiny pieces. The stones remain in the gizzard until they are ground into pieces small enough to pass to the rest of the digestive tract.

Grit, a commercial product made up of small stones, can be used as a supplement to chicken feed. Chickens fed only commercially prepared feed do not need grit. Chickens that eat whole grains or chickens kept on pasture that do not consume enough pebbles with the forage typically require a supplementation of grit. Grit should not be confused with limestone or oystershell, which are given to laying hens as sources of calcium for their eggs' shells.

When a chicken eats a small, sharp object, such as a tack or staple, the object is likely to get stuck in the gizzard. Because of the strong grinding motion of the gizzard's muscles, such sharp objects can put holes in the gizzard wall. Chickens with damaged gizzards grow thin and eventually die. Preventing this situation is a good reason to keep a poultry house free of nails, glass shards, bits of wire, and so on.

I'm a little late to this party- but I had been using Purina Crumbles from TSC. After a few bad weeks of duck sicknesses and injuries, I started ordering Mazuri maintenance. I mix it with the crumbles since it's so expensive. I don't know if my luck turned around or the food made them feel better, but we haven't had any issues since. I also leave out oyster shell but the ladies don't touch it ever.
For treats they get mealworms and cut up grapes.
During this cold snap I've been feeding them warm oatmeal with fruit mixed in, or cooked peas (no sodium of course). They LOVE peas, bananas, watermelon, grapes, pretty much anything.
But they are super picky with actual duck food. If I forget to place and order for Mazuri and try to get something off the shelf, they protest.

The experts don't recommend it, but I feed mine layer. :oops:

I house my ducks with my chickens. No issues except it's hard to keep the chickens hydrated in winter because the ducks get possessive of the water bowl. I suggest giving another water source up where the ducks can't reach.
How do I keep the water out of the ducks reach but within the chickens reach? Aren’t ducks pretty tall? I use a bucket with nipples in it all year around. Wouldn’t that be difficult or impossible for the ducks to drink out of? I plan to use a completely different waterer for my ducks.
Also what about swimming during the winter? Keeping the water from freezing/frostbite.

How do I keep the water out of the ducks reach but within the chickens reach? Aren’t ducks pretty tall? I use a bucket with nipples in it all year around. Wouldn’t that be difficult or impossible for the ducks to drink out of? I plan to use a completely different waterer for my ducks.
Also what about swimming during the winter? Keeping the water from freezing/frostbite.
I put a 1 gal water bowl on a 2--3 ft high box... ducks won't jump up, chickens will... if you're using nipple waterers for the chickens that won't apply.

What kind of temps do you get? I am guessing not very low since you use nipple waterers. I give my ducks pool water until it gets cold enough to freeze completely solid overnight. Even then it's due to laziness. If highs are under 10--15F for a while I'd be cautious with providing swimming water in case they get even more coated in ice than they do with a water bucket.

If you are planning on getting ducklings, don't feed them layer feed until they actually start laying. It doesn't have enough protein for growing ducks and too much calcium. If you do give chick feed make sure you add extra niacin. Many folks, including myself, prefer to use brewers yeast for that. There is a lot of info here on BYC regarding where to find it and the dosage. In an ideal world, growing ducklings require different amounts of protein as they age. I find it much easier to feed all my birds Flock Raiser with 20% protein for all stages of life. I don't give treats for the first few weeks so they get enough protein. So far this is working very well.

As for housing chickens and ducks together, for some people it works and for others it doesn't. I house my chickens and ducks together in the barn. They free range all day. I haven't had any serious problems. There have been the occasional peeking or chasing but it's never serious and seems to be normal hierarchy stuff. There is plenty of room for those getting pecked to get away and out of sight/reach.
Thank you! Yes, I didn’t specify but I do plan to start with layer when they are laying. I also plan to use brewers yeast.
I have a dog and bought the wrong kind of food accidentally. I use it as protein for my chickens during the winter. Would that be a good protein source for ducks?

I use heated buckets for all my flock chickens, ducks and geese I use 4x4 as steps for my chickens to be able to get drinks

If I put out chicken waterers my ducks have them drained in no time and nasty too.

Nipple waterer will not work for ducks they need to be able to wash their faces while eating. dunk their heads.
Swimming water is another issue once it gets below freezing and stays I put up the pools mine usually wash in the buckets so I keep a piece of board over half the buckets so they can't climb in or completely empty them.

I put a 1 gal water bowl on a 2--3 ft high box... ducks won't jump up, chickens will... if you're using nipple waterers for the chickens that won't apply.

What kind of temps do you get? I am guessing not very low since you use nipple waterers. I give my ducks pool water until it gets cold enough to freeze completely solid overnight. Even then it's due to laziness. If highs are under 10--15F for a while I'd be cautious with providing swimming water in case they get even more coated in ice than they do with a water bucket.
It got down to 1.2 degrees F the other day! Brrrr. That’s why I’m concerned. The nipples are screwed into a heated bucket and don’t usually freeze. What about wet feather? I read they should always have access to water that they can get fully wet in.

Back
Top Bottom