Topic of the Week - Feeding mealworms, bugs etc.

Pics
What about using a dehydrator?
https://www.ruralsprout.com/about-us/

I have a friend who has a soldier fly composter. Pretty cool.
Me too in a sense that mine is a raised tumbler and the larve drop out of the cracks at the bottom and collect in the tub I have underneath for such a thing. Chooks loooooove it.
I also do mealworms though I have not been keeping up on it well, so need to take better care and work on bringing my #s up.
We have a lots of bugs in the tropics, and few predators in Hi. I free range my flock constantly because of it. Yes, less cockroaches 😉😉😆😆😆👍👍👍and any other thing that has the misfortune to move infront of my chickens. Nice yummy yellow yoked eggs ♡

View attachment 2778879
Chickens are omnivorous and when given the chance, will happily devour a surprising assortment of bugs and small animals. I've seen mine eat frogs, small snakes, mice… Most of us prefer to be a bit less adventurous when meeting our flocks' craving for meat and stick to providing things like mealworms, crickets, roaches, etc. This week I would like to hear your thoughts and practices on feeding "live" treats. What do you offer your flocks, what can you feed them safely, etc?

For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive
Hi, try raising mealworms but was unsuccessful. They died, molds. I used cornmeal and oats. Bran wheat was too expensive.

My hens totally stopped laying one winter, for a couple of weeks, when I was normally getting 42 eggs a day, everyday...

I went snagging for spoonbill one morning, freezing cold, and snagged into one that weighed 95 pounds.

When I got back to the house and got that fish cleaned, all of my chickens were standing around watching me.

While cutting out the blood line and fat, I threw some of it to my chickens and they gobbled it up faster than a worm or cricket!

I fed my birds over 20 pounds of that spoonbill, fat and meat and such, and the next day every single hen started laying again!

I later used the liver of that spoonbill for catfish bait, caught a lot of catfish off it, and fed the chickens their intestines and scrap meat...

I do this every winter, and my birds don't miss a day of laying, regardless of how cold it is!

Who woulda thunk it!

Oh yes, besides catching grasshoppers for them - when I let them out of their run to free range they race past me and get on the back porch so they can finish the cat food that was left behind 😂

I’m not sure if its intentionally left by my cat as a trade off for sleeping in their temporary nesting box. Had to set this up for one of my hens struggling in this horrible heatwave. So now I have a broody cat 😳
Same, lol

Attachments

• IMG_6234.jpeg
    IMG_6234.jpeg
    783.3 KB · Views: 2
My kiddos get out and about a bit, and they really enjoy my manure pile, when I am cleaning stalls they love to dig in the manure pile catching all sorts of bugs.

I also collect Japanese beetles (a small bucket with a couple inches of water, when you see a cluster of the beetles shake them into the bucket, the water prevents them from flying away), when I have gone through all my fruit trees and roses and collected what beetles no can, I dump the bucket out on the barns brick floor and watch the chickens go wild!

It’s a free for all, 3 weeks olds up to 7 yrs old all fighting for those beetles 😁

I have seen mine eat small snakes and small frogs. Large snakes they don’t attack, but they will harass.
View attachment 3586989
This would make an awesome meal I would think!
Great pic!

Back
Top Bottom