Topic of the Week - Feeding table scraps to your flock

Pics
lau.gif
lau.gif

We had our first snow of the season last night: just a couple of inches, but it was a hard freeze. After I let the chickens out of their coop into the yard, I brought them some extra chopped corn and wild bird seed, for the extra calories to keep them warm, before I brought them fresh warm water. Later today I'll give them some table scraps as a supplement.

Mine love the day I clean out the leftovers in the refrigerator. For a special treat to give them a little more protein, once a week I usually cook roast beef and roast chicken in my crock pot and make sure to put extra water in it so I have a lot of broth left over. I then throw their regular game bird food into it along with any veggies and meat scraps left over and add enough water to make it soupy/firm for them. They scarf it up like all you can eat wing night at the local restaurant.

Today with the high temp set to be a balmy 13F I will probably make them a big bowl of oat meal this afternoon and add left over waffles to it. I have some olive oil that is starting to get old so I will add a good half cup to it. They love it and it helps them clean out their crops.

Like posted earlier, they will eat about anything that doesn't crawl away from them and I've seen them chase down mice and gobble them down so let's just say they will eat anything that isn't faster than they are.

Mine love the day I clean out the leftovers in the refrigerator. For a special treat to give them a little more protein, once a week I usually cook roast beef and roast chicken in my crock pot and make sure to put extra water in it so I have a lot of broth left over. I then throw their regular game bird food into it along with any veggies and meat scraps left over and add enough water to make it soupy/firm for them. They scarf it up like all you can eat wing night at the local restaurant.

Today with the high temp set to be a balmy 13F I will probably make them a big bowl of oat meal this afternoon and add left over waffles to it. I have some olive oil that is starting to get old so I will add a good half cup to it. They love it and it helps them clean out their crops.

Like posted earlier, they will eat about anything that doesn't crawl away from them and I've seen them chase down mice and gobble them down so let's just say they will eat anything that isn't faster than they are.
yuckyuck.gif
Your chickens sound like they eat well. My dogs would be pretty upset if the chickens started getting the slow cooker beef/chicken broth instead of them, though...and the waffles!
smile.png

yuckyuck.gif
Your chickens sound like they eat well. My dogs would be pretty upset if the chickens started getting the slow cooker beef/chicken broth instead of them, though...and the waffles!
smile.png
Yeah, but you should see how fat our dogs are.
ep.gif
The last thing they need is more to eat so I just tell them that the "chicky-burds" have to live outside in the cold and they have a nice warm fireplace to lay in front of so they get the treats. I gave them oatmeal, warm mash and waffles earlier and now have a bowl of goodies from my freezer cleaning project waiting to out to them when I pick up the last of the eggs.

As for the "Chicky-Burd" phrase. We have a sweet Border Collie, Walker Coon Hound cross dog who thinks the chickens belong to him....a little too much sometimes but he loves to go out with me and lay by the run or coop door and watch the birds as I take care of them. All I have to do is say "Chicky-Burds!" and he's racing ahead of me to get to the coop.

We had our first snow of the season last night: just a couple of inches, but it was a hard freeze. After I let the chickens out of their coop into the yard, I brought them some extra chopped corn and wild bird seed, for the extra calories to keep them warm, before I brought them fresh warm water. Later today I'll give them some table scraps as a supplement.

That's lovely
yippiechickie.gif

Yeah, but you should see how fat our dogs are.:eek:  The last thing they need is more to eat so I just tell them that the "chicky-burds" have to live outside in the cold and they have a nice warm fireplace to lay in front of so they get the treats. I gave them oatmeal, warm mash and waffles earlier and now have a bowl of goodies from my freezer cleaning project waiting to out to them when I pick up the last of the eggs.

As for the "Chicky-Burd" phrase. We have a sweet Border Collie, Walker Coon Hound cross dog who thinks the chickens belong to him....a little too much sometimes but he loves to go out with me and lay by the run or coop door and watch the birds as I take care of them. All I have to do is say "Chicky-Burds!" and he's racing ahead of me to get to the coop.
:lau What a great image!

Back
Top Bottom