Topic of the Week - Feeding table scraps to your flock

Pics
Chickens are defiantly NOT vegetarians and we should never try to make them. There bodies need meat protein for a variety of reasons and to keep them healthy give it to them. I do feed a vegetarian diet but I add meat protein to that everyday, making sure not to over do it as to cause them harm, It has increased the amount of eggs I get everyday that now I am supply my neighbors with eggs and still have plenty myself.

My girls love: tuna, prawns, ham, bread, spinach, porridge, cat food - in fact anything ha ha.

Here is Sofia staring Eddie out after getting into the kitchen and eating my cats' food ha ha.

I feed my girls anything they will eat and that I think is healthy. They love stale bread, but as there is not much nutritional value there I limit it. Someone suggested a head of cabbage in the winter when they can find no greens; I tried that and the 15 of them can make a head vanish in 25 minutes. Question: I have a big bag of fish food that I will never use. The ingredients say fish oil, ground corn, soybean meal, wheat flour and so on. I think it sounds like a good idea, does anyone think otherwise?

Don, along with Agnes, Gertrude, Virginia, Rosemary, Margaret, Adele, Erica, Bessie, Hattie, Harriet, Abigail, Earline, Florence, Mabel and Peanut.

Once a week I will scramble an egg and add a handful of rolled oats, maybe a little shredded cheese, and my three love it! I keep hearing pros/cons of feeding dry kitten food to them, haven't done it because I printed out from Backyard Chickens a list of what you should and shouldn't feed them - it says cat food in moderation, maybe only during molting season - but in red it says "I WOULD NOT FEED THIS! and I haven't. Anything edible by humans, with a few exceptions, is safe. Look it up this site, it's very interesting and worth printing and referring to it.

It sounds so spooky that I sometimes refrain from doing it, BUT....

A steaming plate of scrambled eggs in the winter is devoured in record time. I have heard many times that they love Yogurt, but -- who ever has leftover yogurt?

At this time of the year I wonder if anyone out there has tossed into the pen an unwanted fruit cake. That would be an event!

Don

Back
Top Bottom