Topic of the week - Free Ranging

Possum can and do prey on chickens here in the states. My dad killed one HUGE possum one year that he caught in the act of eating the breast off a roosting chicken.....she was still on the roost as he was eating her alive.

I can't imagine a GP that would let a possum live in their territory. My dogs kill possum immediately, just as they do coons.

@room onthebroomMy birds are often more exposed to wild birds in their coop and shed. Wild birds can still get near chickens and stuff can blow in on the wind. So strict measures are necessary such as those used by large producers which aren't feasible for most back yard flocks in order to keep a flock clean and isolated.

Last edited:
@room onthebroom My birds are often more exposed to wild birds in their coop and shed. Wild birds can still get near chickens and stuff can blow in on the wind. So strict measures are necessary such as those used by large producers which aren't feasible for most back yard flocks in order to keep a flock clean and isolated.
Nope....free ranging has nothing to do with a flock getting Marek's, from all the information I've read on it.

Thanks you guys. Good to know.

Last edited:
I free range my chickens, have since I first started this endeavor 2 years ago. I have a 60 sf coop, with a 300 sf run, completely fenced in with a netting over top of the tree in the middle of the run. They have plenty of space, but after just a month or so, there was absolutely no greenery in the run. So I started letting them out a few hours a day, usually supervised. I have a half-acre backyard that is fully fenced in with 3.5' picket fencing. It doesn't keep the smaller chickens in, or the bigger ones who fly over, but mostly it does the job.

At first, I had several dogs, a few of which weren't properly trained. This didn't work out well. The untrained dogs chased the chickens around. So we got rid of the untrained dogs (foster dogs that were adopted out). Now the trained dogs get along splendidly with the chickens, and even do a great job in watching out for them with other animals. Mostly they're great protection just by being there. I also have a pellet gun, .22 and shotgun near the back door in case I see a gutsy raccoon climbing the perimeter fence, or a vulture circling a bit too long.

Anytime I add new hens to the flock, I keep everyone locked in the coop for a few days. Then I let them out into the run for a few days. This gets the hens used to laying in the coop. I also usually don't let them out in the mornings until 9am or so, most of them have already laid by that time. Every once in a while, I'll find a chicken has laid on the ground somewhere, at which point I keep them cooped up for a few days to remind them of where they should lay. It works!

As for the new rangers, I'm working on 2 right now who don't want to come in when called. I don't wait for dusk to get them back in, for several reasons but mainly because I've forgotten too many times to go out and close the door when it's dark. I've never had an attack if I've forgotten, but I don't want to take that chance. So I go out about 4pm every afternoon and call the chickens in with the old "chick chick" yell and shaking some scratch in a cup. Those 2 holdouts are now learning that if they come in when called, they get a treat. If they don't come when called, they get corralled into the coop with water from the hose (I'm too old to chase chickens around the yard!). They're getting it, now they come right when called and eat out of my hand.

Pros: Awesome to watch
They have more freedom
Better quality protein and vitamins
Cuts down on feed cost
Cuts down on clean-up time in the coop
Less bugs in the yard (I can't really testify to this, but I do see them eating them)
I feel like my entire backyard is utilized, especially the places I don't spend a lot of time

Cons: Stepping in chicken poop in the yard
All of my plants have bald spots
Have to make sure the gate to the garden is closed every day, otherwise we have no fresh veggies
Our rooster thinks he's above my 2 year old son in the pecking order, so I'm teaching my kid rooster self-defense
Dust baths created under a lot of my ornamental grasses
Less lizards in the yard, so potentially more flying bugs
They try to eat butterflies, but rarely do they actually catch them

I really enjoy free ranging the chickens and ducks that we have. I also have 2 New Zealand rabbits in the coop who are free in the coop and run when the door's shut. When the chickens are free ranging, the bunnies are locked in their cage. They are also getting used to going to their cage when I come out in the mornings. I tell you, it's really cool to see rabbits, ducks and chickens getting along so well together in the run.

My neighbors have had problems with raccoons & opossums. We've actually gone out there in the middle of the night when we've heard their chickens screaming to find a opossum reaching thru the wire holding a handful of chicken. I know raccoons are the worst, but I wouldn't trust a opossum anywhere near my girls. Did I read that right -- You are not allowed to kill copperheads? That's just crazy!!!
Yep, illegal to kill copperheads.

Possum can and do prey on chickens here in the states. My dad killed one HUGE possum one year that he caught in the act of eating the breast off a roosting chicken.....she was still on the roost as he was eating her alive.

I can't imagine a GP that would let a possum live in their territory. My dogs kill possum immediately, just as they do coons.
My chicken house and tractors at night are out of the perimeters of my dog. I have him with my goats, since they are at risk in their night time fenced in area.. During the day the goats are out browsing with the chickens and guineas. He has total access to all during the day. My chickens are all closed in at night. Nothing can reach in to them - have 1/4" wire fencing on all enclosures. My husband makes all the houses and enclosures to my specifications.

I also have a pellet gun, .22 and shotgun near the back door in case I see a gutsy raccoon climbing the perimeter fence, or a vulture circling a bit too long.

Anytime I add new hens to the flock, I keep everyone locked in the coop for a few days. Then I let them out into the run for a few days. This gets the hens used to laying in the coop. I also usually don't let them out in the mornings until 9am or so, most of them have already laid by that time. Every once in a while, I'll find a chicken has laid on the ground somewhere, at which point I keep them cooped up for a few days to remind them of where they should lay. It works!

As for the new rangers, I'm working on 2 right now who don't want to come in when called. I don't wait for dusk to get them back in, for several reasons but mainly because I've forgotten too many times to go out and close the door when it's dark. I've never had an attack if I've forgotten, but I don't want to take that chance. So I go out about 4pm every afternoon and call the chickens in with the old "chick chick" yell and shaking some scratch in a cup. Those 2 holdouts are now learning that if they come in when called, they get a treat. If they don't come when called, they get corralled into the coop with water from the hose (I'm too old to chase chickens around the yard!). They're getting it, now they come right when called and eat out of my hand.

Yep, pellet and shotgun at the ready for those pesky foxes and coyotes. Haven't seen a raccoon in a year or so. There is a bobcat in the area but currently it seems to focus on killing deer.

When I incorporate new pullets and cockerels into flock, I keep the older ones locked in for up to a week. Have a chicken house and three tractors all attached, so they have enough room to be contained. Let the new ones out each day to free-range and get familiar to where to go in at night. When I used to let them all out after a couple days, the new ones were so freaked by the pecking order they would not go back into the tractor that was just for them. Would find them all huddled at dusk next to a tree etc. Also, I have them separated long enough that the adults do minimal picking because they are used to seeing them through the wire and out free-ranging. When the older ones ARE let out after that period of time, they hardly notice them. The hens are the worst - of course. The rooster don't give the new ones any notice at all until they mature. Then we have disputes. When the adults are going to bed, the youngins will meander into where they belong. I usually give them their own enclosure for a couple weeks before opening it up for all to utilize again.

I've never had a problem with all of them going in at night. Just me remembering to go out and close the doors. LOLOL Nothing like waking up in the morning with a rooster crowing outside your bedroom window when it is still basically dark and realizing you forgot to close them up. LOL So, it will be a loooong day for my GP. I usually don't open doors until 9 - 10 am.

My chickens love saltines. Rattle the tube and they all come running. Incubated and brooded them all in our living room, so they were used to getting held each night and the sound of a cracker wrapper. :) :) They can hear the wrapper crackling before I am even outside and then it's like the Pied Piper. Have to watch out I don't step on any. LOL

I guess by true definition what we do isn't exactly free ranging but I do let them out to forage in the backyard during the day. I work from home and like another poster said if I hear a racket I can go out there and stop anything from happening. Sadly this past Saturday I was a little overconfident and left them out while I went to run errands. During this time a hawk got one of my chickens. This has caused me to seriously reconsider my practices. I'm considering extending their run in the spring. Their current coop is an upcycled 4 x 4 child's play tower with a 16x 4 covered run attached. I feel it's a bit snug for five birds. I believe extending the run uncovered into a courtyard sort of area would Maybe not make them happier but safer. I enjoy all your comments and look forward to learning more.

We are recent chicken owners---two years now---and have a strange routine with our very spoiled 4 chicken children. They love us as much as we love them, I believe. At daylight, we open their house door and often the gate to the outside pen as well. Never leave home with them out free ranging as this area has a lot of raccoons and cats, some of which have stocked and once hurt my RI Red, Rosie. We have a double city lot with fence or thick hedge all around, so they very seldom wander out of the yard. They especially like the large garden and compost pile for nibbles. They are not permitted in the garden when it is young and getting started in producing, but most of the other time, they are invited in. When it gets dark, they automatically head in to their house and we make a big production of giving them a little snack at bed-time (grapes cut up, corn, shredded cheese, sometimes left over rice or noodles which I think they think are night crawlers). And we close the shack door. They know the routine and give us heck if it varies. When there is something threatening in the yard, all four will make quite a ruckus so we know to go out and chase away or comfort them.
Anything new (like the unusual snow that this part of the NW states does not usually get) makes them confused and afraid. They really act strange if given a new snack food or change any situation in their area...ie pruning fruit trees in the yard and using power tools freaks them out. The first snow, they would not leave their house for two days....look out the door but went right back in.
They know when the sliding door out back opens, or the living room curtains get opened and get excited and watchful for us.
Have never had a problem with laying elsewhere but there is a fake egg in each of their box nests and when broody, those seem to give them comfort too.
As a newby, I have learned about the vent being the only opening....kept looking for 2 or 3 like in many animals; have learned about the strange behaviors of broodiness (which cost me a bunch at the vet because I did not know anything about that behavior), about how poor their vision is at night, and about how absolutely adorable they are. Never knew chickens could have such wonderful chickenalities (personalities) and how different they are from each other, I will enjoy their eggs but I could never ever eat someone I named and pet daily.
I hope more newby's will find the pleasure of these fabulous pets.

Back
Top Bottom