Topic of the Week - Getting Started, Keeping Chickens

I checked with My Pet Chicken Blooie,but they won't ship less than 6 full-size chicks to my area. I already had my order filled out before I found this out.
1f615.png

Donna
I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. Last year I ordered 8 Buff Brahma pullets, scheduled delivery for mid April and in mid April I received exactly 8 Buff Brahama pullets. When I click on the "check zip code for minimum chick orders" and entered my zip code yesterday, it said:

Your minimum order is:
Large Fowl Chicks: 7

Bantam Chicks: 9
Mixed Order: 8

† For the safety of the chicks shipped between Jan 3, 2017 and Mar 27, 2017, orders must have a minimum of 15 chicks.

By the sounds of it you were wanting less than that. I've been extremely happy with everything I've ordered from MPC.. @Tillicans gave you some very good advice about researching breeds and preparing ahead of time for their arrival.

If I might suggest one more thing to research, may I suggest this:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

Many of us are brooding chicks this way and find we have calm, healthy, happy chicks used to natural day/night cycles, and we've eliminated dangerous heat lamps from our coops, brooders and homes this way. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about that. I raise my chicks outside here in Wyoming from the start using just Mama Heating Pad and a straw cave, and here during chick season our springtime temps are still hitting the teens and twenties!

By the way, welcome to BYC, both you and @Tillicans !

Donna, have you been to your state thread? That's a good place to start. You just might find some one fairly close to you who will be placing an order this spring. You could combine your orders, and get just what you want shipped directly. An other option is to go ahead and order the larger number, and sell the surplus after they are off heat. There is a ready market for started birds, but you may be intimidated by that option, being a newbie. Welcome to BYC, BTW!!!

An other place to check re: breed options is: Henderson's chicken breeds chart.

Back
Top Bottom