Topic of the Week - Getting Started, Keeping Geese

Pics
we had nine geese done at a butcher shop.
for the size of the carcass , there is not that much meat.. the drumsticks are surprisingly small. not much meat on the wings. lots of bone in the wings.
the breast is about all the meat there is.
It is delicious,dark meat.
hardly worth baking a whole one.
If I had to do it all over again, I would remove the breast, legs and any small amounts of meat and not even freeze the bones..
a whole goose takes up a LOT of space in the freezer.

Do geese get bumblefoot a lot? My scovies are riddled with bumblefoot...
My gander is going on 11 yrs old and has never had bumble foot nor his mate at almost 6 and believe me we're rocky here in the mountains. Only bumble foot I have had to deal with was 2 chicken hens. None of my ducks have had bumble either. [Thank the good Lord] What are you raising your ducks on? Maybe mine have hardened their feet up on the rocky soil we have.

This thread is not meant to discuss murdering animals that we raise and bond with as pets. I believe there is a different section on this forum for that topic.

I haven't read in the original post, or any later post for that matter, that the thread is solely for the keeping of geese as pets. It's about "getting started with geese", and slaughtering methods is an important part of that.

My gander is going on 11 yrs old and has never had bumble foot nor his mate at almost 6 and believe me we're rocky here in the mountains. Only bumble foot I have had to deal with was 2 chicken hens. None of my ducks have had bumble either. [Thank the good Lord] What are you raising your ducks on? Maybe mine have hardened their feet up on the rocky soil we have.

A run that is about 50/50 mud/grass, but most days they roam around on a grassy lawn. There is a little bit of gravel, e.g. on the driveway, that they occasionally walk on. But their massive amount of bumblefoot is a mystery to me. Out of 23 ducklings last summer, all had at least some degree of bumblefoot.

Maybe it's because they walked around in too much moisture... Or maybe bumblefoot is, contrary to what everyone on this forum says, partly hereditary.

It can be caused by a tiny cut or scratch too which bacteria can enter. Not sure about the heredity part since bumble is a staff infection. That's a shame it has been so bad in your Muscovy's have you had any other poultry to have this problem?

It can be caused by a tiny cut or scratch too which bacteria can enter. Not sure about the heredity part since bumble is a staff infection. That's a shame it has been so bad in your Muscovy's have you had any other poultry to have this problem?

One of our many chickens had an obvious case of it (started limping). But then we haven't checked most of the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom