Topic of the Week - Keeping Chickens Cool in Summer

Pics
I am a new chicken Mom too and you sound just like me!! I don't consider my chickens spoiled, just well taken care of....Love your idea of using the iron plant holder as a "net" for the watermelon! I have one of those and it keeps the watermelon from getting all dirty and trampled! GREAT IDEA!! THANKS!
Actually hanging the watermelon wasn't such a great idea for my white Cochin bantams because the watermelon juice would run down their heads and necks which got them sticky and soon pretty dirty. Lol interestingly that didn't happen with my "normal size" chickens. BUT my little Cochins got to have a bath on a hot day and air dry in 100+F. :D

D

Do they actually wade in the pool there? I absolutely LOVE the chicken in the sunglasses!!! You should call her Fancy!! LOLOL Buck, buck!!

My Cochins and black star don't like to actually go IN their little pool, but the red sex links do.:thumbsup
My Cochins really like standing on the frozen jug tho.

And this is Scoops my rooster! He tries to act like a man sometimes but he's a Mama's boy in reality lol

Attachments

• IMG_2017-06-30_19-18-39.JPG
    IMG_2017-06-30_19-18-39.JPG
    317.6 KB · Views: 15
What do you use for shallow water dishes that the chickens can stand in? My run will be 8x10 and the small kiddie pools I've found would take up a lot of space. Summer can be really hot in MO and my coop in a yard with little shade though it and the run will have a roof topped with white metal roofing.
We're using a plastic pan that goes under a water heater -- put a plug on it and it makes a perfect not-too-deep swimming hole for our girls. I change the water (pouring it out in the coop) once or twice a day, depending on how dirty it gets as they are drinking out of it, too.

I freeze 2 liters or 24 oz bottles and put the giant ice cube in the waterer. It melts slower then little cubes while refilling and keeping the water cool. I also use the rinds of different melons to make a frozen bowl for them. They love cantaloupe so I'll scoop out the inside for me to eat but save the seeds and goop. Put it all back in the bowl that's left and add other things. Then top it with water and freeze it. I've started misting their area with the hose when it's really hot. Enough to put little water droplets around but not soak everything. I got a screen door to put up but have to modify it so it fits. I've got a little fan too. It's aimed up at their favorite roost.
The Ohio weather has been so up and down it's a hourly process at this point. A 30 degree swing is hard plan for.:th

I freeze 2 liters or 24 oz bottles and put the giant ice cube in the waterer. It melts slower then little cubes while refilling and keeping the water cool. I also use the rinds of different melons to make a frozen bowl for them. They love cantaloupe so I'll scoop out the inside for me to eat but save the seeds and goop. Put it all back in the bowl that's left and add other things. Then top it with water and freeze it. I've started misting their area with the hose when it's really hot. Enough to put little water droplets around but not soak everything. I got a screen door to put up but have to modify it so it fits. I've got a little fan too. It's aimed up at their favorite roost.
The Ohio weather has been so up and down it's a hourly process at this point. A 30 degree swing is hard plan for.:th
I hear yea on the temps. Same swings here in CT, from one day to the next. What's worse is nighttime temps, could be mid 40s or 70F. That determines if I need to run the cooling fan or not. I don't want them to be chilled, nor do I want them to be panting all night. And do I want to put the fan on high or low speed. :barnie
So I check the predicted low temp on my phone, :yesss: GC

I never let the fan run overnight, it gets shut off when I lock up after dark.
More of a fire fear than the chickens being in a draft if/when the temps cool overnight,
tho that is a legitimate concern too.

I wonder about freezing bottles...or rather refreezing bottles after they've been in the chicken yard and are not necessarily 'clean' and often filthy....not sure I want that in my freezer and don't really want to clean/sanitize them either.
So you bottle freezers, what do you do?

Back
Top Bottom