Topic of the Week - Keeping Chickens Cool in Summer

Pics
I have a giant chest freezer. I made room in one end for a plastic tote. I since the bottles with hot water and a quick wash with dish soap then into that tub.
The food is separated by a cardboard barrier that goes top to bottom.

Yes it takes some work and is not without contamination worry.

I have a giant chest freezer. I made room in one end for a plastic tote. I since the bottles with hot water and a quick wash with dish soap then into that tub.
The food is separated by a cardboard barrier that goes top to bottom.
Yes it takes some work and is not without contamination worry.
Thanks. I wish I had an extra freezer and/or refrigerator.

I use the bottle just to form a giant ice cube. It usually takes a good run under hot water to get the cube out too. I only use 2 maybe 3 waterers so it's not too much extra work. On the hottest days last year the ice would last all day.
Semantics, maybe, but a 'bottle' to me denotes a vessel with a smaller opening than the rest of the container.....how do you get the 'ice cube' out? Maybe cut the top off?

Any tips on how to keep them cool while you're at work? I typically leave at 5am and won't be home until 7pm a few days a week.

I had planned on freezing jugs and just setting them in the run on my way out the door. I have about 5 mins each morning to make any special arrangements so whatever I do needs to be quick.

When I am home I spray down their sand run(it's already getting hot and hiking in MA) and that does the trick - for now.

We took the lid off a cooler & flipped the lid upside down. We fill it with ice and a little water. The edge is a good size for the girls stand on and enjoy the cooler temperature.

We also put Aluminet shade cloth over the run. That has made an incredible difference in shade & temperature.

Thanks. I wish I had an extra freezer and/or refrigerator.

Semantics, maybe, but a 'bottle' to me denotes a vessel with a smaller opening than the rest of the container.....how do you get the 'ice cube' out? Maybe cut the top off?

I do cut the top off. Then fill them about 2/3 of the way. That way I don't spill them and when they expand they have room. You could probably use a container with a lid. If you buy ice cream in a plastic tub or a large thing of yogurt. One 2 ltr is good for my 3 gal waterer. (I had the galvanized waterer with the bar across the opening. That's why I used 24 oz bottles. The larger cube wouldn't fit.)

Any tips on how to keep them cool while you're at work? I typically leave at 5am and won't be home until 7pm a few days a week.

I had planned on freezing jugs and just setting them in the run on my way out the door. I have about 5 mins each morning to make any special arrangements so whatever I do needs to be quick.

When I am home I spray down their sand run(it's already getting hot and hiking in MA) and that does the trick - for now.

You could use a mister hose maybe. Turn it on low. My birds wouldn't have anything to do with a pool. They would walk in and right back out. Then drink out of it once it was all dirty. :barnie

Great idea, their entire run has a roof so they should be ok. I'm going to look into that hose, thanks for the tip!
If you have a pistol grip nozzle on your hose, 20170612_172828.jpg you can set it to mist.
And after about 15 minutes my girls were enjoying it. 20170612_173425.jpg GC

Back
Top Bottom