Topic of the Week - Keeping Chickens Cool in Summer

Pics
Trouble with relying on a roof for shade when your run is so small is that the shade from the roof will not cover most of the run, most of the time.
I use a double layer of quality grey shade cloth over our run (it’s holding up amazingly well, this is the 6th summer with it and it looks like new, and our summer goes from April through November…) and half way down the south side. But shade from plants is so much better, because it’s cooler and airier. We have a climbing rose planted on the south side of the run and it is finally almost covering it all. I still use the shade cloth, because the shade is just dappled, but it makes a real difference.
So if you’re up for planting something for shade, I highly recommend it.
E73BB489-E6E9-48AB-89DD-45E9E58DDDD6.jpeg

What do you use for shallow water dishes that the chickens can stand in? My run will be 8x10 and the small kiddie pools I've found would take up a lot of space. Summer can be really hot in MO and my coop in a yard with little shade though it and the run will have a roof topped with white metal roofing.
What do you use for shallow water dishes that the chickens can stand in? My run will be 8x10 and the small kiddie pools I've found would take up a lot of space. Summer can be really hot in MO and my coop in a yard with little shade though it and the run will have a roof topped with white metal roofing.
I got a shallow kids “splash pad ” on Amazon for 11.00 :)

I use terracotta bowls like the ones for under a large pot plant, large but fairly shallow, seems to do the trick. Metal or black is no good for my hot humid summers, even in shade metal heats up too much

Also as of last summer, I now give them only fermented feed and I keep it quite wet - I think they possibly get hydration with probiotics.

Mostly I try to avoid adding tasks to my day to keep them cool - shade/water/wet feed/cool dirt patches are things I can manage and be away for the day.

Most of my chickens are built for heat, only a few are less heat tolerant varieties (so I have to accept a bit more effort for them as I chose them! Yes I've even laid a small wet towel on the coop floor for them near the pop door -they love it, but I hate the laundry!).
Wet newspaper not an alternative, maybe wet feed bags that will be discarded after?

Today my birds will get their special, hot-weather treet -- electrolyte mash.

That is, I make up a batch of Sav-A-Chick and use it to make a wet mash with their normal feed.

I will do all work with them early this morning and leave them undisturbed through the hottest part of the afternoon so that they don't run around and get overheated because of it.

The only thing is that I'll collect eggs every couple hours because in this kind of heat the eggs can begin to incubate in the nests.

Back
Top Bottom