Topic of the Week - Keeping Chickens Cool in Summer

Pics
What do you use for shallow water dishes that the chickens can stand in? My run will be 8x10 and the small kiddie pools I've found would take up a lot of space. Summer can be really hot in MO and my coop in a yard with little shade though it and the run will have a roof topped with white metal roofing.
We use rubber feed pans big enough to put a brick in, along with water. The bricks help the water to evaporate, creating a cooling effect while the chickens stand on it. You may need more than one, depending on how many chickens you have. It gets pretty nasty, so I usually clean and fill them twice a day. Our run has a roof, and we have shade cloth on the east and west sides of the run. Also an outdoor-rated fan on the east side that blows across the run.
Hope this helps!

Here we have some bad photos of chickens on a day where we were having an "Excessive Heat Warning" (which has since downgraded to a "Heat Advisory". So, it's "only" about 95 in the shade on the north side of the house where the brooder sits in one of the most sheltered spots on the property.

View attachment 3148444

The 3-week-old babies are hanging out in a sheltered spot need the food and water. I turned their brooder plate off since they don't need it in these temperatures (haven't used it in the daytime since the first week).

View attachment 3148439

The adults are dug in or perching in breezy spots. The photos are bad because I shoved my phone through the nestboxes in order to not rile them up too much with the expectation of treats, etc.

View attachment 3148445View attachment 3148451
They look content 😊 if i walk into my chickens run and dont talk to them they must know i dont have a treat and therefore dont get excited, lol. If i sing song to them on the way in, they know somethin' is comin and get all excited, lol

Misters only work in dry heat.

If you're got high humidity as well as high temperatures a mister can make it even worse. :(
There are people here with all kinds of weather conditions, you’re aware of that right? This is a general question to everyone here, not just those of you in the humidity.

What do you use for shallow water dishes that the chickens can stand in? My run will be 8x10 and the small kiddie pools I've found would take up a lot of space. Summer can be really hot in MO and my coop in a yard with little shade though it and the run will have a roof topped with white metal roofing.
I bought serving trays for a bridal shower at Walmart for like $3 ... they are maybe half inch deep and are now little chicken pools they work great!!

There are people here with all kinds of weather conditions, you’re aware of that right? This is a general question to everyone here, not just those of you in the humidity.

Of course. Climate matters tremendously.

I just didn't want people in high humidity areas running out to buy misters, which would be counterproductive. :)

In dry heat they're highly desirable.

Back
Top Bottom