Topic of the Week - Keeping Chickens Cool in Summer

Idaho Chicken Bungalow:
I talked with someone at the company & I'm installing this material this a.m. I'm installing it to the ceiling of my run, stapled to the supporting beams just below. Did you ever find an answer or something suitable for your actual building?
Even though their website has a lot of info and links to videos and pdf's, I ended up calling and talked to someone at customer service. He was very helpful and nice! Here's info just in case:
I got it as packaging when I ordered frozen meals. Before I got central air, I would use it in my windows...redneck for sure. I haven't attached it yet. I think putting that on your metal roof is brilliant!

What do you use for shallow water dishes that the chickens can stand in? My run will be 8x10 and the small kiddie pools I've found would take up a lot of space. Summer can be really hot in MO and my coop in a yard with little shade though it and the run will have a roof topped with white metal roofing.
The best thing that I have found is the round water trays for large potted plants. The y are not too deep, and they are not too big, but big enough for one - two birds to share. Tractor Supplyand Home Depot is where these came from

Attachments

• bY57ikzKSn-DvLjdMC2Dww.jpg
    bY57ikzKSn-DvLjdMC2Dww.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 4
  • pool 1.jpg
    pool 1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • pool 2.jpg
    pool 2.jpg
    652.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
i use a bowl filled with water and throw some fruit in, and freeze it. Cranberries, blueberries and even kale are all good things to freeze. I put the frozen bowl into a low plastic tote filled with a very little water. They have to step into the water to get to the frozen fruit.
They survived this heat wave. I'm going to do the frozen fruit.😍

I use terracotta bowls like the ones for under a large pot plant, large but fairly shallow, seems to do the trick. Metal or black is no good for my hot humid summers, even in shade metal heats up too much

Also as of last summer, I now give them only fermented feed and I keep it quite wet - I think they possibly get hydration with probiotics.

Mostly I try to avoid adding tasks to my day to keep them cool - shade/water/wet feed/cool dirt patches are things I can manage and be away for the day.

Most of my chickens are built for heat, only a few are less heat tolerant varieties (so I have to accept a bit more effort for them as I chose them! Yes I've even laid a small wet towel on the coop floor for them near the pop door -they love it, but I hate the laundry!).
I feel the same as far as committed to their total comfort as much as possible. I now know Buffs are exceptional and do require extra pampering in the extreme heat. They are so worth it 🥰!

I also spray some cool water from the garden hose in the hot afternoons in the areas where they dust bathe. They seem to enjoy the cool sand. I liked your idea on terracotta platters, they keep the water cool longer than the usual waterers, besides there might be some brave ones that would get in them to cool their feet. This heat we are experiensing right now in South Texas is getting totally ridiculous!!!!:mad:

I fill clear plastic tubs that are about 4 inches deep. Up to 3 hens will stand in them. I also freeze GIANT ice cubes that take awhile to melt in the tubs. 1 per tub. Last year when all summer it was in the triple digits I froze gallon jugs of water and created a wall of ice in the shade. They would lay next to them all afternoon or stand on them. Deep shade and checking the water 2-3 times a day. I put frozen 16oz water bottles in their waterers also. They also love regular ice cubes with frozen veggies in them.

Back
Top Bottom