Topic of the Week - Keeping Chickens Cool in Summer

I also spray some cool water from the garden hose in the hot afternoons in the areas where they dust bathe. They seem to enjoy the cool sand. I liked your idea on terracotta platters, they keep the water cool longer than the usual waterers, besides there might be some brave ones that would get in them to cool their feet. This heat we are experiensing right now in South Texas is getting totally ridiculous!!!!:mad:
Agreed. I'm done with "feels like 115 degrees!"

What do you use for shallow water dishes that the chickens can stand in? My run will be 8x10 and the small kiddie pools I've found would take up a lot of space. Summer can be really hot in MO and my coop in a yard with little shade though it and the run will have a roof topped with white metal roofing.
I love these plant saucers as they aren’t too deep for my bantams, just perfect for a cooling foot bath! They LUUUUV them; it’s too cute to see them standing in them to cool off.
Another huge hit is the frozen 2liter soda bottles. I just lay them around randomly, as well as place one next to each plant saucer that I put out. It took them about a week to get used to those, but once they did. I have a handful of chickens that have claimed them as their favorites and will lay next to them for their daily naps as well as stand on them for a quick cool-down whenever they want it.
— Doing these things really makes me feel so much better about the heat that they endure out there!!

Ps. Oh! We also have a hanging Barn Fan in their 9’ x 9’ Omlet outdoor run setup, that’s off of their Omlet coop/run enclosure

Attachments

• IMG_8964.jpeg
    IMG_8964.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 3
— When I saw this Topic of the Week — Keeping Chickens Cool in the Summer
🌻
I immediately thought of this video clip from last Summer!🌻 … It’s definitely one of my favorites! :)

Summertime Cool-Down Activity Treat!

What we used = We added Cherry Tomatoes, Pink Lady Apples(peeled & scored), Chia Seeds, Oatmeal flakes and Ice cubes to the water 💦!
Side Note: They love how the Chia Seeds & Oatmeal flakes float on top of the water; they’ll continue to float for about 20-30 minutes or until they become waterlogged.

What do you use for shallow water dishes that the chickens can stand in? My run will be 8x10 and the small kiddie pools I've found would take up a lot of space. Summer can be really hot in MO and my coop in a yard with little shade though it and the run will have a roof topped with white metal roofing.

Attachments

• 20230620_135310.jpg
    20230620_135310.jpg
    760.8 KB · Views: 1
  • grosfillex-planter-saucers-us277089-64_600.jpg
    grosfillex-planter-saucers-us277089-64_600.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 1
15 - 18 " in diameter. my grown chickens love these. I have 13 , 4 month hold pullets that I use a brick in the center for them to hop on.
I also use large plastic dog food dishes. Tractor supply also sells larger ones that are similar, that I use for my grown chickens. I keep these filled year round on my property for my free rangers.

Attachments

• 1458022.jpeg
    1458022.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1
Breeds that are heat and cold tolerant for our climate.
Large run with lots of cover, shady spots, and plenty of dirt.
I water down the dirt when it's hot and dry. Make puddles.They love to lay in the low (cool) spots.
Fresh water every morning, with waterers placed where it'll be shady all afternoon.
Box fans in the coops (replace every summer), aimed indirectly toward nest boxes.
Windows and doors wide open to maximize ventilation.
Paint roof and walls of coops white to reflect heat.
Throw frozen 2-liter bottles and gallon milk jugs into the coop and/or run. Littles will huddle near these to cool down.
Allow them to free-range on the hottest days. They'll find the best cool spots.
Limit heat-generating treats to late in the day, or early morning, or not at all.
Offer lots of veggie and fruit scraps as available, instead of scratch grains.
Collect up the mullberries from our trees & freeze them ..... instant popsicles.

Question for those of you who use frozen water bottles,

How do you manage reusing them without contaminating your freezer? Do you put them into some kind of covers while they're out there in the run? Only use them once? Just scrub them really well?

Question for those of you who use frozen water bottles,

How do you manage reusing them without contaminating your freezer? Do you put them into some kind of covers while they're out there in the run? Only use them once? Just scrub them really well?
I first rinse them off with the backyard hose, then I scrub them off really good in the house, (10% bleach water) and I have a dedicated section in my deep freezer. I just have it sectioned off to the side with cardboard… Also, they only last for about 3 or 4 weeks; they start to get beat-up and will spring leaks on ya, so you’ll end up throwing out the old jugs and replacing them with new ones as well … I just use 2liter soda bottles or milk jugs, whatever I have around

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom