Topic of the Week - Lice and Mites - Prevention and Treatments

Pics
Are pyrethrin dust's and sprays approved for use in poultry?

Don't know and I can't imagine who would be the authority to approve or disapprove their use with poultry.

http://www.npic.orst.edu/factsheets/pyrethrins.pdf

Quote:
Pyrethrin compounds have been used primarily to control human lice, mosquitoes, cockroaches, beetles and flies. Some "pyrethrin dusts," used to control insects in horticultural crops, are only 0.3% to 0.5% pyrethrins, and are used at rates of up to 50 lb/A. Other pyrethrin compounds may be used in grain storage and in poultry pens and on dogs and cats to control lice and fleas.

wink.png
I'm good, thanks. I don't use it often enough and rarely directly on the birds for it even to matter....the good health of my flocks is approval enough for me and they are always healthy.

So I have one bantam hen with a persistent case of scaly leg mites. She tends to sleep in one of the unused nest boxes a lot and rarely dust bathes so I'm thinking that is a contributing factor. It's time to treat my dogs with fipronil so I thought I'd use a few drops on her. Could those that have used fipronil tell me how much and where do I treat her?

And before anyone feels compelled to inform me that fipronil isn't approved for use in poultry, I already know that. I haven't gotten eggs from her in ages (She was sourced from a breeder and is beautiful but has never layed well.) and don't think I will get anymore. She and her "sister" (who lays equally poorly) are my only bantams so it's easy to identify and avoid their once-in-a-great-while eggs and I will never eat her.

I also know all about greasing up the legs, cleaning the coop and nest boxes, and providing a dust bath. I do all those already. This is my only bird for whom those measures just haven't worked.

TIA.

So I have one bantam hen with a persistent case of scaly leg mites. She tends to sleep in one of the unused nest boxes a lot and rarely dust bathes so I'm thinking that is a contributing factor. It's time to treat my dogs with fipronil so I thought I'd use a few drops on her. Could those that have used fipronil tell me how much and where do I treat her?

And before anyone feels compelled to inform me that fipronil isn't approved for use in poultry, I already know that. I haven't gotten eggs from her in ages (She was sourced from a breeder and is beautiful but has never layed well.) and don't think I will get anymore. She and her "sister" (who lays equally poorly) are my only bantams so it's easy to identify and avoid their once-in-a-great-while eggs and I will never eat her.

I also know all about greasing up the legs, cleaning the coop and nest boxes, and providing a dust bath. I do all those already. This is my only bird for whom those measures just haven't worked.

TIA.
Has anyone ever used fipronil to treat scaley legs mites? I ask because i'm not sure how it works, as in does it go into the blood stream, or does it work like topical powders?

Edited to fix formatting issues.

Last edited:
For the record, I don't care what pesticides people want to use,
big_smile.png
but for those that want to follow the "rules" you might be interested in this:

Quote: Source: https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/FAQs/Pages/ELDU-and-AMDUCA-FAQs.aspx

That said, 10% permethrin *is* approved for use, but what about a 38% permethrin? The ones I found aren't "labeled" for use in poultry, so does that mean the they shouldn't be used?

Hi all!

I read thru this thread and I have some questions:

I have 2 3montg old silkie chicks that I have found live on. One worse than the other. I've already bought the poultry powder for them but I'm reading tons of info on wood ash.....does this really work?

Like wood ash from my fireplace?? Or is it specific and found somewhere?? These two little ones don't really buddy up with any of my other girls but do you all think it's a sure thing they all have them now?

I have checked my flock and everyone looks clean with no other issues like the red and bald spots or missing feathers.

Any and all help is totally appreciated!

Miriam

Back
Top Bottom