Topic of the Week - Lice and Mites - Prevention and Treatments

Pics
Last edited:
I saw one reply that u can apply permicide II to the bird but is that after its mixed? Also a month ago one of my hens went down. I could not figure it out then I was holding her and saw the lice. I did not have the money to go out and buy something that may or may not work so I had read that someone had used advantage. It is not recommended by the company but it did work and I believe the quick action saved her life. Any idea on direct application of permicide II to the chicken? And how long should I discard my eggs?

I saw one reply that u can apply permicide II to the bird but is that after its mixed? Also a month ago one of my hens went down. I could not figure it out then I was holding her and saw the lice. I did not have the money to go out and buy something that may or may not work so I had read that someone had used advantage. It is not recommended by the company but it did work and I believe the quick action saved her life. Any idea on direct application of permicide II to the chicken? And how long should I discard my eggs?
Welcome to BYC!
Technically it's not labeled for use on poultry or in poultry houses, so you aren't supposed to use it.
https://www.americanpest.net/msds/file/summit-super-permacide-ii-label

Save yourself some money and buy some Gordon's 10% Permethrin from Tractor Supply and mix 5 ml of the concentrate per quart.

Last edited:
All I had on hand at the time was the advantage because I used it on my dog but he passed away last year so it was going to waste any way. So mix it then back under vent and head. Recommendations on how long to not eat eggs from the treated chicken?

All I had on hand at the time was the advantage because I used it on my dog but he passed away last year so it was going to waste any way. So mix it then back under vent and head. Recommendations on how long to not eat eggs from the treated chicken?

Since it's not labeled for use on poultry you aren't supposed to use it, but the active ingredient in Advantage *is* approved for use in poultry houses for treating darkling beetles. Off the record, my vets and their staff wait 30 days when using medications and pesticides not labeled for use in poultry.

Im having a problem with mites. To the extent that I took the most badly affected chicken to an avian vet. Her research is telling her that permethrin has failed to reduce mite populations and that ivermectin is affective. However dosages for ivermectin are not available. Any suggestions or experiences? If you've used Ivermectin, how long did you wait before using eggs?

Is Eight the same thing as Sevin?
Thanks,
Concerned Chicken Mom Deb

Im having a problem with mites. To the extent that I took the most badly affected chicken to an avian vet. Her research is telling her that permethrin has failed to reduce mite populations and that ivermectin is affective. However dosages for ivermectin are not available. Any suggestions or experiences? If you've used Ivermectin, how long did you wait before using eggs?

Is Eight the same thing as Sevin?
Thanks,
Concerned Chicken Mom Deb
What type of mite? Red Roost Mite or Northern Fowl Mite?
https://www.drugs.com/vet/permethrin-10.html

northern fowl mite
When you treated them, did you use the spray, and did you spray their coops, nesting boxes, perches, etc? You could try ivermectin, but there some people say it won't treat mites. The max dose I would use is 1 mg/kg.

1% injectable - can be given orally or by injection. My max dose would be 0.045 ml per pound, so a five pound chicken would get ~0.023 ml. This amount is higher that what is listed in most veterinary formularies, so do keep that in mind. Since you have already seen a vet, your vet should be able to tell you how much to give.
big_smile.png
Your vet can also submit a withdrawal request:
http://cafarad.ucdavis.edu/farmweb/index.aspx

Back
Top Bottom