Topic of the Week - Lice and Mites - Prevention and Treatments

Pics
Face lice seem to really like Silkies, Faverolles, and peafowl, so I would say yes.
What colour skin do the faverolles/peahens have? Is it the dark colour they like, do you think?

I used to work with someone and mosquitos went for her. Everyone else was left alone and they zeroed in on her. She didn't wear perfume or anything that could be pinpointed. She said she always got attacked.

What colour skin do the faverolles/peahens have? Is it the dark colour they like, do you think?

I used to work with someone and mosquitos went for her. Everyone else was left alone and they zeroed in on her. She didn't wear perfume or anything that could be pinpointed. She said she always got attacked.
They both have light skin.

I am still battling those horrible brown mites. The little beggars are back after 2 months mite free. At least I thought we were. In the beginning (late spring) I sprayed with permethrin and then again 2 weeks later and all the chickens vents as well. 6 weeks later we noticed them again so we purchased predatory mites. That seems to be working quite well until the cold wet weather hit. We are knee deep in the little monsters again.

I want to put Ivermectin on my roosters but have no idea how much. I had a chart for this on my old computer that pooped out on me a couple months ago and now I can't access all of valuable chicken information I had saved. Some of the roosters will be culled once they are full grown for the stew pot though. Will they be safe to eat?

Also, has anyone ever used a product called elector? At least I think that's what the name is. It's applied in the same manner as Permethrin and is supposed to work like gangbusters on mites and only one application is needed. It's expensive but if it will do the job once and for all then I'm in.

I am still battling those horrible brown mites. The little beggars are back after 2 months mite free. At least I thought we were. In the beginning (late spring) I sprayed with permethrin and then again 2 weeks later and all the chickens vents as well. 6 weeks later we noticed them again so we purchased predatory mites. That seems to be working quite well until the cold wet weather hit. We are knee deep in the little monsters again.

I want to put Ivermectin on my roosters but have no idea how much. I had a chart for this on my old computer that pooped out on me a couple months ago and now I can't access all of valuable chicken information I had saved. Some of the roosters will be culled once they are full grown for the stew pot though. Will they be safe to eat?

Also, has anyone ever used a product called elector? At least I think that's what the name is. It's applied in the same manner as Permethrin and is supposed to work like gangbusters on mites and only one application is needed. It's expensive but if it will do the job once and for all then I'm in.
Which ivermectin do you want to use?

Back
Top Bottom