Topic of the Week - Maintaining a Healthy Flock

My hens have a run 8 x 20 with a 6' high fence. They don't have a copy per see. They do have a tarp and tree for shade. 1/2 screen covered the length to help keep neighbors cat and mockingbird out.

The have an old ratan shelf by window for roosting and nesting basket on same.

I rake from high shaded end to lower sun end every morning. Change out water dispenser and fill bowls. Starter feed, mixture of greens veggies, fruit and left I along with occasional dry cat food. They eat bugs lizards gecko and crickets from yard and compost they love playing in.

I give them chunks of egg plant and whole tomatoes to tear up.

De in sand around edges of run. Wash down every 3 days or so with plain water. Once a month I drain washing machines wash not rinse water over entire run. I was with vinegar and sometimes a pine cleaner added to heavier laundry.

I don't really handle birds. I do pet them when they come to window or to eat treats. I only have the two and they seem content and healthy.

Working on a coop for colder months which under this heat wave seems far far away in a distant universe

@Verl the easiest way to use DE is to add it to their favorite bath area. If you use it, make sure it's food grade and don't overdo it.

I feed FF daily, keep 3 gallon waterers full of plain old tap water, provide shade and wading pools. I give a wide variety of produce, meat, seeds and nuts. We feed back egg shells by tossing them on the ground next to the piles of grit and oyster shell. The eggshells always get used first, that pile of OS will last them 5 years!

I scan the birds a couple times a day, wake up and bedtime, use deep litter in coop and havent cleaned it out yet, 6 months and counting. I do scrape poop once a week, then just stir it up.
Chickens free range in my backyard, no netting but I do have a cockerel.

I'm a new chicken owner and this thread has been very helpful. To prevent mites and lice i give my chickens baths once a month, by the way i only have five chickens. I handle my chickens constantly, if i see any odd behavior from my girls i check them out immediately, but so far I haven't had any problems. Oh and when they were chicks I would put i few drops of ACV (apple cider vinegar) in their water.
I am not sure on this, and maybe someone with more experience will chime in; but it seems like monthly baths might be a little excessive for chickens. I am thinking about feather wear and tear and stripping the natural oils that they preen into the feathers from their oil gland. Maybe not as critical for chickens as for ducks and geese.

I am not sure on this, and maybe someone with more experience will chime in; but it seems like monthly baths might be a little excessive for chickens. I am thinking about feather wear and tear and stripping the natural oils that they preen into the feathers from their oil gland. Maybe not as critical for chickens as for ducks and geese.

I know dogs chickens not at all.

Dog bathing too often can cause skin problems. I know dogs and chickens are different one mammal other not, but if I'm unsure I usually go with same as I can for my birds as my dogs. At least until I can find what I should be doing.

I know people that bathe dogs weekly and others every few months (like me) they have their pools to play around in as do the chickens.

Maybe her bathing chickens is just a quick rinse like running a hose over a dog?

So far I think the healthiest thing we have done for the chickens was allowing them a place that was safe to free range. Also, I second the feed from the store post, however it is important to feed your chickens appropriately during different stages/purposes in life: i.e. laying feed for hens once they start laying, growing/starter feed for pullets, etc. There are several books on the subject. Dumor brand is my choice for starter feed (good ratio of protein). Also enrichment is important. I like to teach mine tricks with meal worms (they've learned "hop up" and when I tap my leg, my mille fleuries jump on my lap).

So far I think the healthiest thing we have done for the chickens was allowing them a place that was safe to free range. Also, I second the feed from the store post, however it is important to feed your chickens appropriately during different stages/purposes in life: i.e. laying feed for hens once they start laying, growing/starter feed for pullets, etc. There are several books on the subject. Dumor brand is my choice for starter feed (good ratio of protein). Also enrichment is important. I like to teach mine tricks with meal worms (they've learned "hop up" and when I tap my leg, my mille fleuries jump on my lap).

OMGosh, how cool is that. I've read a lot of members feed the mealworms. I haven't tried yet. Where do you buy yours? Live or dried or frozen (thinking crickets I'd buy for my frog. He only ate live)

I clean my chicken's dropping board daily, they get fermented feed, as well as cilantro everyday. They get to free range at least 2 hours daily, under my watch. I think my chickens are healthy...no really serious health problems to speak of.
But the one thing I do religiously is I spend time with them everyday...so if a problem should arise, I catch it quickly... plus by spending time with them it puts me in my happy place too!

This has been interesting reading; obviously different folks do very different things out there! A new pet chicken owner will try things that us old fogies with (ONLY!) 49 birds right now wouldn't consider!
Biosecurity! Buying healthy birds and keeping them safe from nasty diseases. Praying that a near neighbor doesn't get diseased chickens from somewhere and infect your flock.
Good fresh food, always available. Oyster shell also for laying hens. Cheapest may not be best.
Predator protection; a safe coop, and run. This is a never-ending effort.
Free ranging if possible.
Simple is best; strange herbal concoctions, DE everywhere, and water additives are a waste of time and money, regardless of those testimonials found everywhere. Science and actual testing/ trials are lacking.
Mary

This has been interesting reading; obviously different folks do very different things out there! A new pet chicken owner will try things that us old fogies with (ONLY!) 49 birds right now wouldn't consider!
Biosecurity! Buying healthy birds and keeping them safe from nasty diseases. Praying that a near neighbor doesn't get diseased chickens from somewhere and infect your flock.
Good fresh food, always available. Oyster shell also for laying hens. Cheapest may not be best.
Predator protection; a safe coop, and run. This is a never-ending effort.
Free ranging if possible.
Simple is best; strange herbal concoctions, DE everywhere, and water additives are a waste of time and money, regardless of those testimonials found everywhere. Science and actual testing/ trials are lacking.
Mary
:goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom