Topic of the Week - Maintaining a Healthy Flock

.... 3.) The dogs have a sheep tank to take a dip in, but the chickens can play in the puddles if they get hot - but they actually seem to prefer to lay in the shade under the roof in their coop, in one of the multitude of holes they have dug in their run, or lined up along the concrete of the barn foundation. When they are free-ranging, they are content scratching in the deep shade of the hedgerow on the warmest days.....

Ice water and frozen treats are wasted on chickens. Chickens are never happier in the Summer time than my Grannie's chickens were scratching in the dust and dirt beneath the old gal's shotgun house. I knew these chickens were contented because I could spy on them up close and personal through the cracks in Grannie's floor.

OMGosh, how cool is that. I've read a lot of members feed the mealworms. I haven't tried yet. Where do you buy yours? Live or dried or frozen (thinking crickets I'd buy for my frog. He only ate live)
You can get mealworms at the feed store, but much larger and cheaper bags are available from Amazon.

I have a healthy flock and they are low maintenence. I keep fresh water available (although they are frequent puddle, gutter, dog bowl, anything-that-holds-water- drinkers),feed available 24/7, oyster shell/egg shell available, draft free coop w/ deep litter, free range dusk til dawn. They just go about the farm being chickens and I dont fuss over them. Their instincts let them know when to eat, when to sleep, when to soak up some sun, when to take a good ole' dirt bath and when to kick the crap out of the barn cat (sorry buddy, they are out to get you...). They routinely get leftovers & vegie/fruit scraps. They will sneak out to the compost pile to pick through that and basically anything else they deem acceptable (cat food, dog food, fallen apples from tree, garden goodies, mice, corn or beans from the field). No fancy feeds or special additives. I dont load them up on meds or probiotics or preventative anythings. I havent had any disease or mites or crazy sickness. Just an occasional bumblefoot, fix it up and send them back out. They do fine when they are allowed to just be chickens. They need sunshine, they need dirt, they need bugs, they need trees to roost on and they need at least one barn cat to take their frustrations out on (oh... just mine?).

Holy cow! I would never get anything done around the place! I am glad you have that kind of time, maybe when I am retired.

1.) Working 10 hours a day, I need to rely on a large waterer to supply them with enough water for a couple of days. I check it every day so they are never out. If they happen to run out, it is never for more than 10 hours.
3.) Handling 16 chickens - 3 times a day just ain't gonna happen at our place. I scan the flock when I open/close the pop door and when I feed them. Any that look off will get handling as needed.
3.) The dogs have a sheep tank to take a dip in, but the chickens can play in the puddles if they get hot - but they actually seem to prefer to lay in the shade under the roof in their coop, in one of the multitude of holes they have dug in their run, or lined up along the concrete of the barn foundation. When they are free-ranging, they are content scratching in the deep shade of the hedgerow on the warmest days.
4.) My chickens have a trough feeder that I fill twice a day. They are going to get a bulk feeder as soon as I find the time to finish it. Too much food is wasted in the trough feeder when they scratch their bedding into it.

I suggest you check the date on the food bags before you buy it. Too many times I have checked the dates at the store and the feed was getting pretty Old. I can usually tell by the smell when it is over a month old.

Edited to clarify: by YOU, I simply mean anyone with chickens and reading the thread, not any one specific person. It is a general You'all.
I get your reply! :) I'm one of those that is a clean freak and I check them frequently during the week, etc. I always say to ppl that the ONLY reason that I can be so hyper vigilant is that my kids are grown, I don't work outside the home and I don't have other livestock. I have 6 cats and 2 dogs but that's different. I am getting 10 more chicks in April so that will be 20 in my flock. I am super busy but I love it. 😊😊😊

I clean my chicken's dropping board daily, they get fermented feed, as well as cilantro everyday. They get to free range at least 2 hours daily, under my watch. I think my chickens are healthy...no really serious health problems to speak of.
But the one thing I do religiously is I spend time with them everyday...so if a problem should arise, I catch it quickly... plus by spending time with them it puts me in my happy place too!
Yes! I spend a lot of time with them and know if something is off. I recognize all of their individual voices and behaviors. Chicken nerd = me. Lol!

Started feeding my Chickens soacked Scratch Feed now they won't touch Laying Mash.

Thinking of just feeding Scratch Feed.

Make sure they have Oyster Shell and need to figure out something for protein.

Oldguyrealy

Back
Top Bottom