Topic of the Week - Managing Expenses and Saving/Making Money Keeping Poultry

Buying or building a coop and how to save money there.

Well our coop came with the house, and its a big coop, can hold probably 10-15 chickens no problem. Some of the side walls are torn up and rotted a little at the bottom with holes so I plan to cover those with two by fours. The coop was such a mess when we took it over so I took out all the rotting nesting boxes, shoveled everything out and gave it a little make over. I put in two big perches, two large nesting areas I built and we had an old bunk bed ladder we didn't need so I used that and built a ladder, not the best but it does the job.

All of this was with warped wood from fleet farm, still strong and good but just a little twist in them here and there, beats paying a few bucks for a board when you can get it for 80 cents

I also expanded their run, they had a very small area outside so I bought one roll of chicken fencing and ran it down to our chain link fence so now they have 10 times the area they had basically from cutting some fences and planting one roll of new fence.

- Feed costs - how to keep the feed bill down.

I admit I do buy the cheaper large bag of feed from fleet farm, this helps us save, however they do get some good grains and veggie and fruit scraps, and yogurts as some good treats.

- Recouping some of the expenses and making money through selling eggs, birds etc.

Havent started this yet, I get four chicks soon so when they start laying I may try to sell eggs, right now we get 2-4 a day with the 8 layers I do have.
Havent sold any chickens, We will not get a rooster, I do not think I want a bunch of babies running around yet. I am still learning many things.

Coop costs for us were minimal since we used mostly recycled materials.
big_smile.png

Last year's (still home to my older flock) This year's (My babies are now enjoying this one)

For feed costs, we use the PVC diy feeder for the older flock, and once our chicks are large enough and on regular feed, we will merge them together into the one coop/run with the PVC feeders. I also give my hens LOTS of veggie food scraps, and in the summer lots of yard waste.

Recouping costs - kind of hard to do since many of my neighbors raise chickens with eggs for sale. The only thing I have going for me, is I raise them organically. So, when my flock grows up, and I have enough egg layers, I can advertise that way. I already have one customer on standby for at least a dozen a week.

I too recommend building a strong coop as predator proof as possible. It will pay off over the years. I now use my flimsy prefab coop for a broody w her chicks. It is surrounded by fencing and covered on top. That's the only way to keep it from dismantling due to weather. My flock loves scratch grains, so I buy a bag for the winter. The rest of the time they eat grass and bugs in the garden, so don't buy treats for them. My flock helps me a lot by eating the bugs in the garden and I give them some of our vegetables as payment for their service
1f60a.png

I sell eggs at $3.50/dozen to pay for my flock's organic feed, but I often run into this situation: people I know well (and not so well:) love to have the eggs for free, but won't buy them. I think I'm selling them for a very reasonable price, but it seems people expect to get eggs for free because they know me and are somewhat surprised to be charged for them. If anyone here has been in the same situation, I'd appreciate some advice.
As to make extra money, I have a small flock so I'll be happy just to break even.

I too recommend building a strong coop as predator proof as possible. It will pay off over the years. I now use my flimsy prefab coop for a broody w her chicks. It is surrounded by fencing and covered on top. That's the only way to keep it from dismantling due to weather. My flock loves scratch grains, so I buy a bag for the winter. The rest of the time they eat grass and bugs in the garden, so don't buy treats for them. My flock helps me a lot by eating the bugs in the garden and I give them some of our vegetables as payment for their service
1f60a.png

I sell eggs at $3.50/dozen to pay for my flock's organic feed, but I often run into this situation: people I know well (and not so well:) love to have the eggs for free, but won't buy them. I think I'm selling them for a very reasonable price, but it seems people expect to get eggs for free because they know me and are somewhat surprised to be charged for them. If anyone here has been in the same situation, I'd appreciate some advice.
As to make extra money, I have a small flock so I'll be happy just to break even.
I would simply be up front and honest with them: let them know that you have ongoing expenses. Feed and housing is not free. How would your friends react if you expected them to give you the loaf of bread they just baked, or perhaps the gallon of milk they just put into their fridge?

1f60a.png

I manage to work the cost of feed into the conversation. You could say.....

"I enjoy my birds so much. I really try to do the best for them, they get to get out and scratch in the garden and eat bugs like chickens are supposed to. It's better for them, plus it helps to offset the $X I pay for a bag of their organic feed", delivered with a wry grin.

Just to let folks know chickens don't feed themselves, and eggs don't just materialize from thin air.

Back
Top Bottom