Topic of the Week - Nest boxes

Pics
Some people have more problems with dirty nest boxes, judging from comments I see. I just try to keep everything easier to clean. I hate doing extra work. I got enough already. I like scrap linoleum or vinyl flooring, cut to size and with extras on hand. Swap a dirty/wet piece for a clean/dry one, scrape/rinse and let dry in the sun. Done.

Some people have more problems with dirty nest boxes, judging from comments I see. I just try to keep everything easier to clean. I hate doing extra work. I got enough already. I like scrap linoleum or vinyl flooring, cut to size and with extras on hand. Swap a dirty/wet piece for a clean/dry one, scrape/rinse and let dry in the sun. Done.

Thanks, I also have more to do than my time allows as my job often requires overtime and just me to handle all the household chores etc. Then add in my projects ;). Cleaning not my fav.

I have enough scraps left from my laundry room floor to cut several. That is so doable. I couldn't see spending the extra time and $$ to add flooring to my coop which with a couple coat of exterior paint would be easily washable. My nest boxes will also be painted with very washable paint.

Good! You can sprinkle DE under the lino, or seven dust or peppermint oil, whatever. I cut mine larger than the floor, slit the corners so they "roll" up the edges from the bottom a bit. Still fits tight enough, but smooths out the corners to discourage eggs or chicks getting under lino. If you have some fancy rollout boxes, I don't know how it'd work. Never had any of those myself.

Have a question. Working on building and the nest boxes will be last. Lots of comments about easy cleaning. Do the nest boxes get very dirty? Of course in the case a broken egg but besides that? I am planning on just an exterior painted wood floor in my coop but I do have some leftover foam backed flooring I could put in the nest boxes that could be just popped in there so they are easily removable.
Go for it, and cut an extra one so you can quickly swap a dirty one out. I just started doing this this this year with a chronic thin-shelled layer. It will catch most of a broken egg, at least it does with my straw bedding, and it's way easier than trying to clean the bottom of the nest, painted or not.

Good! You can sprinkle DE under the lino, or seven dust or peppermint oil, whatever. I cut mine larger than the floor, slit the corners so they "roll" up the edges from the bottom a bit. Still fits tight enough, but smooths out the corners to discourage eggs or chicks getting under lino. If you have some fancy rollout boxes, I don't know how it'd work. Never had any of those myself.

Awesome suggestions everyone! I have a big supply of DE from an invasion of buggy critters after coons in my attic (ended up with an exterminator that time) so a good use for that. No fancy rollout boxes, don't have a clue how those work. 2 simple external boxes with a lift top on the protected side of my coop are planned. I also love essential oils and also grow lots of mint so mint may be an ingredient in their nest box bedding. Time to start cutting mint and drying it for the winter.

I have two nesting boxes built in the coop but all 3 of my laying hens prefer to make a nest of their own in the corner of the coop to lay their eggs. I've got two pullets that are 19 weeks and starting to squat. Sure hope they decide to lay in their nesting box... though I'm not banking on it.
Use some fake eggs/golfballs in the nests and block the place they are laying on the floor.

Back
Top Bottom