Topic of the Week - Organic/Natural Chicken Keeping

This week I would like to hear about your more natural practices when it comes to feeding, treating, and generally taking care of your flocks.

- Do you feed organic feed (and where do you purchase it)?
- What do you use to help prevent and treat parasites naturally?

I don’t feed organic; I go for minimally processed instead. First and last thing in the day I offer fermented whole food (mostly wheat, some peas, maize, sunflower seeds, occasionally rolled oats, tinned sardines, cod liver oil, various dairy products) and they eat whatever they want and find when foraging in the diverse garden habitats here from dawn to dusk, e.g. at this time of year: grass, weeds and their seeds (e.g. dock and plantain), sorrel, mushrooms, insects, and occasional reptiles, amphibians or small mammals (especially shrews). I add local wildflower plants (weeds) as I can, and try to grow any herbs not yet established here, to improve the chickens’ forage opportunities. I do not use any chemicals in the garden.

I buy the wheat +10% maize blend and dried peas by the sack at a local pet store, and mix them daily into the liquor (started with water + natural plain yogurt, maintained as a weak solution and periodically started over) in the proportions I want, which is 10-20% peas, and about 5% sunflower, the rest wheat + maize, to ferment overnight. The oats, sardines, cod liver oil and dairy products are all bought in the supermarket (as they are human grade food).

This year I made my own chick feed, following suggestions in poultry handbooks that were written before commercial feeds were invented or widely available. Obviously that was not medicated. 11 out of 12 chicks (in 3 different clutches) are alive and well and maturing as I write.

I have changed how I treat parasites as I have got more experienced.

I have only ever wormed the flock once, via medicated pellets, when I was starting out. If exposed to modest doses, as they are if ranging on pasture from hatch, chickens develop resistance to them (so too for coccidia, see e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coccidia), or they don’t make it to adulthood.

I use robust recycled plastic coops to create an unfavourable environment for mites, and they have never been a problem; they do arrive periodically, but if spotted, they are easy to eradicate from these coops (see e.g. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...hickens-thread.1502267/page-907#post-26093710 post 9063).

I have found that only birds that are already sick with something else are really troubled by parasites. I have used ivermectin pour-on drops (sold for use on pigeons here) when a bird seems infested with lice, but in most cases, it turned out to be only a temporary alleviation of their suffering, and they were infested only because they were too ill to dustbathe or preen. On the other hand, it has probably saved the life of at least one of my birds, so I now try it for one cycle if a bird seems to have a problem with lice but is otherwise strong.

The chickens make dustbaths where they will in lawn, beds and borders. They also have a large, covered area of dry earth for the purpose, and a lidded tote box in another part of the garden. I mix sand, bonfire ashes and diatomaceous earth in the tote box, which is open when the weather is dry.

Since there are far more beneficial bacteria than harmful ones living in and on a chicken’s body, I do not use antibiotics. I want of flock of robust resilient chickens, who, while not registered as organic, live as naturally as I can make it for them.

Edited to add: I forgot mealworms. I also keep a mealworm farm to supply live mealworms to the chickens. The mealworms eat bran and veg trimmings, and they are then fed to the chickens as a good source of protein on an ad hoc basis.

Last edited:
I agree that good nutrition and animal husbandry is the best way to have a healthy flock.

I don’t feed organic, like others I’ve found the cost to be prohibitive. Which really makes no sense, but that’s the craze and people are going to make money from it. I would if it wasn’t for cost, but for now they get a quality non gmo feed. No scratch, but I treat with a non gmo pigeon feed from a local shop that has no corn in it and it’s a strict amount per day. I do ferment feed and offer it once a week, but not daily. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

I offer my flock a wide variety of organic veggies, herbs and fruit, including those that supposedly work as a wormer or are immune boosters. However, I don’t worm them for the sake of worming, and to date we haven’t had any worm issues. I use deep litter in the coop and they have the yard for foraging. I can’t find the link, but there’s a thread here on BYC with a link to a study about pumpkin and using it to worm chickens. I don’t recall the details but it doesn’t necessarily work and I believe the seeds had the necessary ingredient that may help, but not the flesh. I give these things to my flock because they like them and would eat them if they could, but I’ll use a wormer if it’s necessary.

Sick birds are culled. I will try to fix bumblefoot, minor injuries, worms, etc, but I am not taking a bird to the vet for antibiotics or anything like that. I believe that sick bird is the weakest link and it has to go to keep the rest of the flock strong.

- Do you feed organic feed (and where do you purchase it)?
We feed mostly organic but have made some exception when it was too much of an inconvenience to get the organic. Prices have been going way up though so we may change our habbits. When feeding conventional, my main problem is that most of the soy used in chicken feed in my country is imported from Brazil so contains GMO and induces deforestation. So when we buy conventional I try to make sure the soy is from France.
The brand of organic feed we prefer as our chickens waste less of it and seem to fare good eating it (and it happens to be cheaper) is sold in a place that's two hours and a half drive, so we only get it when we have other things to buy or do in that specific place.
Some of my chickens have access to our vegetable garden, whole land and compost so they have a much more varied diet.

- What do you use to help prevent and treat parasites naturally?
I've tried the usual things : ACV in water from time to time, garlic, oregano, and wormwood infusions, and more recently grounded squash seeds. I use verm-x or other brand's equivalent. I have a type of mite in my coop that I haven't really identified (not red mite) that only strives in the summer, I buy a spray of quaternary ammonium with essential oils components like geraniol.

I recently saw what I thought to be tapeworm segments in some poops. I treated the whole flock with Flubendazole for five days. I will use chemicals when necessary. After treating the whole flock I saw two poops that had a worm in them, so it was probably a moderate infestation.

Regarding health issues, in the general case I will not give any antibiotics. The main reason is that they are only sold under a prescription, and for a number of them that are under special monitoring for their risk of developing resistance the vet has to declare and justify every prescription made, so they are not easily to come by.
I don't use them for myself (I maybe would if I had a serious bacterial issue), so I would not use them for my chickens. I have made an exception for a chicken that I took to the vet clinic, and could maybe do so again, but that would remain exceptional. As a matter of fact, the EU is considering completely banning the use of antibiotics for pets.
I use oregano, tea tree and ravintsara essential oils exceptionally also either orally (diluted in honey +carrier oil), locally or in a steam.
I feel like I still have a lot to learn about chicken's health, so I'm not ruling out any options, and I may change the way I do things as I get more experience.

Hi everyone!

I have a small flock of 10, and I buy 1 bag of Organic Grower feed each month with oyster shell offered on the side. My ladies get all of our fruit & veggie scraps (mostly organic or grown in our garden), plus a sprinkle or two of some sunflower seeds and cracked corn in the run to get them mixing up the run material first thing in the morning. They get two bows of wet mash in the morning. I have cabbage (leaves only, cabbages removed & eaten by us) collards & kale in the garden and until covered in snow if I don’t have veggie scraps from dinner I go out and pull a few of the spent leaves each morning. They also ate the zinnia, nasturtium and marigold leaves at the tail end of the summer, and can range in the vegetable garden (I block off areas I want to keep them out of when necessary).

I have not had to treat them for anything as of yet, but I have used Corid on chicks for coccidosis in the past (this batch didn’t need it), and I would use the most effective medicine to treat problems if needed. I eat as much organic as I can myself, but am not anti-medicine when I am sick, so will treat my chickens the same.

I am curious about the garlic…I read somewhere not to give garlic & onions to chickens. Is that false? I would like to hear more about herbs in the coop & nest boxes as well if anyone has any info.

I scoop all nightly poo first thing every morning, and dump the soiled pine shavings into the run. It breaks down pretty good, and I shoveled a bunch out to mulch a few raised beds and my fall garlic plantings. I have not seen the girls dust-bathing recently (I have a container of sand in the run), but it’s been around freezing in the early morning snd afternoon when I get home. The do jump on their outdoor perch a ton to preen.

Hi everyone!

I have a small flock of 10, and I buy 1 bag of Organic Grower feed each month with oyster shell offered on the side. My ladies get all of our fruit & veggie scraps (mostly organic or grown in our garden), plus a sprinkle or two of some sunflower seeds and cracked corn in the run to get them mixing up the run material first thing in the morning. They get two bows of wet mash in the morning. I have cabbage (leaves only, cabbages removed & eaten by us) collards & kale in the garden and until covered in snow if I don’t have veggie scraps from dinner I go out and pull a few of the spent leaves each morning. They also ate the zinnia, nasturtium and marigold leaves at the tail end of the summer, and can range in the vegetable garden (I block off areas I want to keep them out of when necessary).

I have not had to treat them for anything as of yet, but I have used Corid on chicks for coccidosis in the past (this batch didn’t need it), and I would use the most effective medicine to treat problems if needed. I eat as much organic as I can myself, but am not anti-medicine when I am sick, so will treat my chickens the same.

I am curious about the garlic…I read somewhere not to give garlic & onions to chickens. Is that false? I would like to hear more about herbs in the coop & nest boxes as well if anyone has any info.

I scoop all nightly poo first thing every morning, and dump the soiled pine shavings into the run. It breaks down pretty good, and I shoveled a bunch out to mulch a few raised beds and my fall garlic plantings. I have not seen the girls dust-bathing recently (I have a container of sand in the run), but it’s been around freezing in the early morning snd afternoon when I get home. The do jump on their outdoor perch a ton to preen.
Garlic is good for them. I put it in the water every now and then for about 10 days in a row. Old school hobbyists say it’s good against parasites. Mine don’t eat onion.

I will post more about my more or less organic chickens later. Have to go to work soon.

My ini mini chickens have a 99% organic garden to wander in for at least 3 times a week for several hours.
Most of the chicken feed is organic. Bought at the local organic mill or Welkoop, a shop for pets, and others animals and gardening shop. Its about 150% the price as the feed with GMO soy/corn of the same brand.
The mill and the welkoop shop buy it ready made from a feed factory. They are both just 1-2 miles away from where I live.
As supplement they get mixed grains and dried mealworms. In winter grains is about 50% of their feed because they don’t lay or just a few eggs and the layer feed contains too much Calcium for my chickens. We don’t have other choices like all flock here.

To prevent illnesses and stress I try to give them many hours of free range time, They have lots of space in the run with bushes and spots to avoid ach other. Water and feed is supplies in several bowls/waterers. The have a sandbath area with some diatomaceous earth in it, in the run under a window.

I use a mixed bedding in the nests boxes: hay, shavings, with tabacco or lavender. underneath is a layer of sand mixed wit a little diatomaceous earth (DE).

Leftovers (small amounts) from diner like rice, spaghetti, cheese, too ripe fruits, veggies and bread go to the chickens. If I have too much our neighbour mini-pig is happy with it.

I never went to a vet. Never had severe parasite problems. Never dewormed. Used DE once in their feathers because of a light red mite infestation. I did have a few sick chickens. Some died. Some live on happily after recovering.

I rather spend my money on improving their living circumstances and my conveniences than pooring it in the vets pocket. I don’t want to give them antibiotics forever/as long as possible.

To prevent another red mite infestation I use DE as a paint (with water) to fill all the cracks and walls of the roost areas.

I feed fermented Scratch & Peck grower formula with the dried herbs and supplement with molasses, scratch, dried BSFG, live mealworms, and ACV. They get some time to forage outside as well. They’re 3 months old and I haven’t had any parasite problems AFAIK, but one was attacked by a dog last week. I treated him with manuka honey, coconut oil, and an epsom salt bath. He is doing well.

I’m paranoid about gmos and the ubiquitous use of glyphosate so I buy organic as much as possible. Pay for good quality food now & enjoy your quality of life, or lose your quality of life and pay at the doctors office.

Incidentally I found high-quality fermenting crocks made in the U.S. with lead-free glaze: https://stonewareoutlet.com/shop-all-crocks/

Last edited:
Welcome!
Your chick diet sounds really yummy, but not balanced. Fewer tasty treats, more balanced ration!
Sorry for being unclear. It is balanced: They get fermented Scratch & Peck free choice all day. Once a week I add 2 TBSPs ACV to 32 oz. water bottle. Their main treats are foraging, live mealworms, and dried BSFGs. Now that the weather is getting cold, I’m switching the dried BSFGs for cracked corn-heavy scratch to keep them warm at night. I’m also mixing molasses in their FF and adding cinnamon sticks to the fermenting crock.

Welcome!
Your chick diet sounds really yummy, but not balanced. Fewer tasty treats, more balanced ration!
This thread is about alternatives to a 'balanced ration'. It' s hardly fair to bash a newcomer with that swipe on the topic. You didn't respond to my post thus.

Back
Top Bottom