Topic of the Week - Raising People Friendly Poultry

I'm having to ask a question. I have an olive egger rooster, who's 'feeling his oats' and wants to challenge me as flock leader. I'd like to keep this guy if possible. I've read some posts about immobizing the rooster. How does that work, pin him to the ground, tuck him under an arm, dangle him upside-down, what?

I like the pick up and tuck under the arm method myself, but I also use the pin to the ground method. Both demonstrate to the cockerel that you are dominant. If this is done in front of the hens, so much the better. But remember this is not meant to be a daily exercise. You aren't out to bully and oppress. Ignoring the roo is the best management policy.

As promised, some more pics of chick training!

BB giving lesson in good manners.

Children find safe spot among legs.

Safe nest outside of MHP

Happy buddy on the shoulder, this is Rhonda Lee, named after the weather girl in Seattle.

Hey! I've been following this thread for two days. I'm new to chickens and they're about 2 and a half days old. I want to tame my 6 chicks! 3 of them, (the EE Bantam, EE, and Australorp) will come running when I tap somewhere thinking I'm their mother and there's food there. The rest are sort of catching on, but the cute part is that if I hold them all and cradles them against me, they will all quiet down and fall asleep, even the whiny Barred Rock Bantam! But I need help!! I want to tame the rest, but it seems the only two that aren't catching on is my Blue Cochin and my Buff Orpington! My Blue Cochin HATES being held. It squirms and chirps, and it just won't be quiet!! Help me on that?

For us being able to react with the girls pretty much started after they got out of their brooder box and we took them in a dog carrier to our enclosed grass run on a nice day. Layed down on the grass and just let them run around for the first time.

We did this a few times and then we moved them out to the coop full time. This allowed us to let them get into the run more and as they got to about 2+ weeks old they started getting treats, like a grape cut into quarters, now one meal worm each. Within 2-3 days they were climbing all over us and now we are used as a quick napping spot. Got to be careful not to step on somebody.

In Post #33 above you can see the results from a couple of days ago. This afternoon I had 6 of them on me and not a bit afraid to be picked up. Often will cup them in my hand and gently stroke them, just like petting a small puppy. Big Fun For All.

Worked on our meal worm farming project this afternoon hoping to per perpetuate a good source for many more treats. Amazing how much time you can spend on this hobby, if you choose to.
love.gif
BB

Hey! I've been following this thread for two days. I'm new to chickens and they're about 2 and a half days old. I want to tame my 6 chicks! 3 of them, (the EE Bantam, EE, and Australorp) will come running when I tap somewhere thinking I'm their mother and there's food there. The rest are sort of catching on, but the cute part is that if I hold them all and cradles them against me, they will all quiet down and fall asleep, even the whiny Barred Rock Bantam! But I need help!! I want to tame the rest, but it seems the only two that aren't catching on is my Blue Cochin and my Buff Orpington! My Blue Cochin HATES being held. It squirms and chirps, and it just won't be quiet!! Help me on that?

Some chicks take to being tamed while others don't seem to have the temperament for it. Your Cochin's reaction to being handled reminds me of a Black Cochin chick I had seven years ago. I had ordered two Cochin pullets, and one was very cuddly while the other detested being held. It turned out it was a cockerel, and he had severe emotional issues. (Not kidding.) If he had been human, he probably would have been diagnosed autistic.

Anyway, he grew into a gorgeous young roo, but if I tried to touch him, he would have a meltdown. I worked with him for months to gain his trust, and finally I was able to handle him without him flying apart on me. You may have two chicks that have a genetic aversion to being handled. I wouldn't press it. Let them come to you on their own terms.

Two years ago, I got a couple of Marans chicks that were averse to being held, too. I managed to gain their trust as chicks by sitting on the ground and letting them climb on my legs and lap. But as soon as I would try to touch them, they would race away. They never did warm up to being handled, and trust me, most of the chicks I have raised are total cuddle muffins. Sometimes, that's just how things are, and we need to accept the differences among our chickens.

Have you tried holding it to your cheek and covering it's head? Sometimes being somewhere warm and dark triggers that calming instinct. Another good trick is holding a picky chick with a calm one. Sometimes a distrustful chick is afraid of being alone and will calm down with a friend. Like the buddy system, they often hate being away from everyone else.I had to work with most of my chicks to get them calm about being held especially as they grow up and become more mobile. They also have days they are in the mood and days they are not. Personality definitely counts too, some chicks are just not cuddlers, others will be a surprise over time. I have an Egyptian Fayoumi that always hides in the corner and some days she is calm for being held and some days she complains but she will fly to my lap to eat now and lately to my shoulder just to talk which was a real surprise.

I got my chicks to come using cupboard love...treats. Live mealworms. I sat on the ground with them and took daily trips outside and they would all come to cuddle.

Despite that I have a couple that just don't like to be handled a lot. And 2 that want to be shoulder birds every time I go outside. I can give them some scratches and love at roost time, and they eat from my hand but that's the extent of it.

Each chick has their own personality. I respect that and don't push. I just make sure I spend time with them when they're going to roost every day without fail.

Good luck with your littles...they grow so fast!

Thanks everyone! I was really hoping my Cochin would be friendly, but if not, thats okay!! Yeah, they're kinda dropping the 'follow the finger' rule. When can I feed them dried mealworms? When I hold them all in my hand and lap, they all relax and try to fall asleep, even the Cochin! And some of the other chicks are catching on to the 'follow the finger'. They're so adorable! How long will it be until they start to be flighty if not handled? I have a black Barred Rock Bantam, and its the smallest and most of the time always screaming. Is something wrong with it?? It keeps developing a tiny bit of Pasty Butt, but I'm keeping up with it and washing it off. My Australorp LOVES sleeping in my hand. I can fit at least three at a time in my hand, and when I do, they just love it. How do I get them to let me pet them? They let me do everything else, but when I reach to pet them they scurry away. Well, better hurry up and tame them before they grow up and its too late!!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom