Topic of the Week - Raising People Friendly Poultry

Seriously!

I do not want the thread to get off track but Yep and it was a nightmare! Just a friendly warning to be careful who you try and make friends with
wink.png

This is exactly what I do with my chicks.  I have my sand chair right in the run and as soon as I sit down several of them jump in my lap, my shoulder and settle down for a cuddle.  I don't touch them too much just let them settle.  My baby chick that was near death always jumps up and tucks herself in the crook of my elbow and takes a nap.  She is way behind in development and she is also the youngest but she has the least amount of feathers so I think she does this to warm up too.  I think alot may have to do with the individual chickens too.  If you spend time you get to know them really well.  My barred rock pullet is always the first one to jump up, then my buff rock, silver penciled rock, cochin, cream legbar etc.  My welsummer has never sat in my lap.  

So I have a question.  My chicks come scurrying out of the coop as soon as I open the pop door but when I want to put them back in they won't go.  So I have been scooping them up and putting them in myself.  Now I know this is freaking some of them out especially my welsummer she is fast and I have to corner her to get her back in.  I feel like I'm ruining all my hard work to tame them by cornering them and putting them in the coop.  I always handle them gently and talk to them and set them in the coop by just opening my hand and letting them walk off but still this is somewhat stressful for them.  I tried one night just waiting until it was getting dark to see if they would go in on their own and they didn't.  They huddled together in a corner until I put them in.  I would just try this method again but its still pretty cold here and I don't want them to get chilled by being out too long.  Any suggestions?  BTW so happy I found this thread.

Hi Merrymouse!

I have 6 chicks that are super friendly and love to be cuddled. The other 5 will come jump on my outstretched leg and maybe settle down for a bit to preen but do not want to be touched. My two smallest birds are the most skittish. My best buddy remains little Miss Merrymouse. She, too, loves to nestle down on my left arm for a nap. My smartest girl is the Barred Rock. She was the first to go down the ramp out of the coop and the first to go to the top of the ladder DH built for them. She also is very loving and likes to sit on my shoulder.

So, try this method for getting the chicks back into the coop. I learned this from my neighbor whose chicks I cared for for three years. Instead of chasing, get behind the hens and walk them slowly towards the coop door, herding them in effect. I also say, time to go to bed everybody. Hopefully one will go up the ramp and the rest usually follow. I take it one step further and give his girls a small handful of dried mealworms once they all get in the coop. They pile in the door in anticipation of their bedtime treat.

I am going to train my girls to come to the sound of the bag of mealworms being shaken. It works great with my neighbor's girls who will fly in from all directions of his yard when I call and shake that bag.

I have been really lucky because my chicks put themselves to bed. The only challenge is to get their door closed before they see me and all want to tumble out and play some more.

I sympathize with your anxiety about grabbing them. I had to do that when they were smaller and being transported from the house to the outside play area. I was concerned I was going to step on one while chasing it or hurt one while grabbing it awkwardly.

Good luck!

BB

Okay, we just got 3 hens and a roo that are around 3 months old. They are isabel orpingtons. My son us planning to show them in 4H. Is it okay to hold the rooster and give him tests to tame him? Why would this make him more aggressive? (We are new to chickens)

I have two five day olds- silky and RIR, silky is completely fine being picked up, pet, with little fuss. The RIR screams bloody murder every time you pick her up, but also freaks out when the silky is out without her. I want to keep progressing with the silky, but wondering any tips for this?

These pictures are just to validate that we are accomplished at making friends with animals. We no longer have foxes around as that would be a no brainer in the hen house!!

This was not an attempt to hijack this thread, but our interaction with these animals have given us much pleasure. This new chapter with chickens is something we look forward to with great anticipation, so far, so good. BB

Back
Top Bottom