Topic of the Week - Raising People Friendly Poultry

Wow that's awesome! I'm kind of jealous lol i wamt to befriend animals but don't they lose their fear of people?
As far as the foxes go, I don't think that was a problem. This occurred when we lived in rural BC and they still have fur trapping up there. IF we did not tell our mini lap Lap to not chase the foxes she would put the run on them if she had a chance. She would leave them alone along with deer, ducks, squirrels etc if we restrained her.

There were no chickens in our area and very few people. Those that had cabins around us were weekenders from Vancouver. We did see a cougar run thru our yard and that caused us some concern. Also some black bear around but when we lived in the Sierra Nevada Mtns we had bear going thru our yard every day of the summer. Had some innovative methods for our bird and squirrel feeders. Had raccoons but they only went after the dog's food and were chased away when encountered. Our biggest fear here for our kids is neighbor's dogs and eagles/hawks when we reach the stage of letting them free range under supervision. We are optimistic that the chicks will be so happy to be with us they won't wander very far away from us. TBC, BB

I bought 7 pullet chicks to start. Of those 7, 6 ended up being cockerels, even though they were sold as pullets. So they all got raised as girls. Like so many others, I started just letting the chicks climb all over me and handing out treats, offerring a warm spot for naps. I made a special little song, 4 notes, that I sang them. They would fall asleep on me making their own purring, sound, much like the good gremlin in the movie way back. They learned to fly and flew up to my shoulders and head to sleep. Even 6 months down the road, one hen laying and 6 roosters crowing, they liked to fly up to my shoulders and snuggle. They all got along as long as I out them on the roost in pecking order. The learned that order and as long as they followed it there was peace. Realizing I had a six to one, negative ratio, I started more chicks. I got a couple more roosters but more hens this time, thankfully. The girls would have gotten too much dating though, so I separated the girls in a separate run, letting the two younger cockerels grow up with the girls until they were adults. Then the boys went out to free range with the rest of the boys. At some point I had to stop letting the boys fly up to my arms and head. They weighed too much and I got scratched as they tried to balance, not realizing they were too big to balance on my arms anymore. Some of the girls still fly to me, but I try not to encourage it anymore and squat down to them. Five years later the boys still follow up around the yard, (while always leaving at least two sentries to guard the girls.) They have paired up in twos as best buds, going to the compost heap together, pecking out with the horses, hanging out in the garage with hubby, or just out foraging. We have many hawks and always being in pairs seems to be discouraging to them. We have not lost a one. Two years ago, we had to reroof after some terrible storms and our roofers became familiar with our chickens. He called us one day to let us know that one of our roosters was out on the highway, a out a mile away. I did a quick head count and verified it wasn't ours, but we went to check in the rooster with him anyway. There was indeed a rooster in the highway, where the speed limit is 50. We persuaded him off the road toward the closest homes around. He was still there on the side of the highway the next morning when he came to work, so we went and got him. We beought him home and put him in quarantine while spreading the work for anyone looking for him. The consensus was that he was either dropped off there when he started to crow, or run off by oer roosters. We will never know. He is now part of our family and free ranges with the rest of the gang, but stays up by the house a lot. No matter what window I look out, he is there. He must be able to hear where we are inside. I didn't raise him, but he is just as friendly as the rest. The one thing I never do that I have heard other do is act aggressively toward him. The few times he tried to find his pecking order with me, I just let him run into me, without reacting. They learn quickly that you are not one of the chickens and charging or pecking is a waste of energy. They each try it a few times when they get their teenage hormones. I just wear jeans for a few days and let them try anything they want. If they start to get wound up, I just gently pick them up and sing their baby song to them and they melt. The biggest problem I have is this last boy is too friendly. He runs out to the gate to meet me when I return home and won't let me into the garage without picking him up. He blocks the car. I am beginning to think likes me to pick him up and ride in the car.
1f923.png

As far as the foxes go, I don't think that was a problem.  This occurred when we lived in rural BC and they still have fur trapping up there.  IF we did not tell our mini lap Lap to not chase the foxes she would put the run on them if she had a chance. She would leave them alone along with deer, ducks, squirrels etc if we restrained her.

There were no chickens in our area and very few people.  Those that had cabins around us were weekenders from Vancouver.  We did see a cougar run thru our yard and that caused us some concern.  Also some black bear around but when we lived in the Sierra Nevada Mtns we had bear going thru our yard every day of the summer.  Had some innovative methods for our bird and squirrel feeders.  Had raccoons but they only went after the dog's food and were chased away when encountered.  Our biggest fear here for our kids is neighbor's dogs and eagles/hawks when we reach the stage of letting them free range under supervision.  We are optimistic that the chicks will be so happy to be with us they won't wander very far away from us.  TBC, BB

Wow that's awesome!

We're in a lot more central area even though we have trees/wildlife and stuff and it seems more rural so lots of people so around here maybe it might not be such a good idea to befriend the animals but I might try it anyway haha

Our dog seems to hate all wildlife though. :/

I want to befriend the deer or at least get them to where they don't run off when they see me but I'm worried if I befriend the deer or turkeys a hunter might shoot them

I handle my three girls daily. They all have different personalities, from friendly to barely tolerant. They live in a large coop. When I get home from work I pour a beer then let the girls out of the coop to run lose around (not in) the raised garden for about 15 minutes. Each one gets quality time with me, sitting on my lap and getting a rub. Nobody gets out of daily contact.

I also have a ringneck pheasant cock that lives with the chickens. Yes, a pheasant cock. I know, I've heard all the arguments against having a pheasant with chickens, but my girls tolerate the boy and the boy is outnumbered. He minds his own business for the most part and the girls let him sleep in the house with them.

The pheasant also gets daily sit on my lap sessions, but he's a bit more skittish and STRONG! And those spurs. Lordy. I simply corner him in the coop and pick him up, holding on real tight. I tuck him under my arm, sit on the tortise house (another story) then let him stand up on my lap. He's a great lap pheasant. He really likes a massage. But he's still a wild critter and when he's done with his massage, he let me know it by fussing.

When it's time for the girls to get back in he house, I use a 3' bamboo garden stake as a herding stick and tap in the house three times. They understand play time is over. Two girls get it and run for the house, lead by my big black Australorp who by far is the most trainable of the group, followed by my not so smart Seabright. Usually my cute readhead Orpington. who is the most awesome lap bird in the world, plays hard to get and requires a tap on the butt with the bamboo stick to get her to stop digging for worms and head for home.

My chickens (and pheasant) are in many ways smarter and more sneaky than my dog. They're also a lot of fun and produce breakfast. My wife thinks my chickens give me peace and sanity. Every human who is owned by chickens knows that to be true.

It takes patience and daily work. Gurtrude came to us as an adult, and loved cuddles from the start, though having a warm, dry place to be after being lost in the rain all day might have helped. Lizbeth we got at about 3 days old or so. She comes out every day with me, and I'm the one that gives her food and treats. She's bonded to me enough to seek me out if she can't see me. It makes it nice when I take her outside on the leash. Both are indoor chickens, so they spend a lot of time around people and other animals. Once Lizbeth ous big enough, she will move in with Gurtrude, but the human interaction will continue. Gurtrude is currently the chicken ambassador, everyone loves her. She has a grab club and people have pulledover to ask if they can get s picture with her.

Hi Everyone!
I can't WAIT to have experience with adult chickens and ducks to add to my knowledge....but SO FAR...I handle all my birds every single day.
The bantams I carefully check their bottoms a few times a day (they are only a few days old) there are 11 of those.
And I always pick them up very gently, holding their wings and making them feel secure, then placing them in my hand. When I put them back (any of my birds) I put my hand down close to the bottom of the brooder or coop, and let them walk off when they are ready. I read on this thread somewhere that someone else does that too. I think it makes them feel a little more in control and builds trust, as they are not just tossed back into the fray. It's always super cute because the bantams will just cuddle up and go to sleep in my hand, rather than walk off into the brooder. They are VERY cuddly and seem to really want to interact with us.

My four weekers, an assortment of six chicks, are a little more flighty, but they still tolerate handling, and once you are holding them they get very snuggly also.

My outdoor coop crew: Two are VERY sweet, especially the Barred Plymouth (we call her Rock) (or him?) that one will get up on your shoulder and just purr and trill in your ear. The ISA Brown, named Hulk, Jr. because of how fast it grew, will do the same thing. The little Red ones don't really want much to do with us, even though they were all handled the same exact way, so a lot I think depends on breed. My six Leghorns are hilarious. Fast as the dickens, no interest in being handled, and like little velociraptors when they get out to play. (When we are home, we let them all out with supervision, we have cats and want a little more size on them before they are out on their own to free range)

The ducks stick completely to themselves. They will not follow anyone in the household, with the exception of my six year old son, which is ironic because half the time he chases them. But he also spends more time with them than anyone else, and holds them (!) they are quite large now, month old Pekins!! Once my son gets one, he will cuddle it until it settles down, then all the other ducks will gather around him in a circle. The ducks also bully the chicks, but they seem to all go to their own corners and are all fine together, even though there is quite a size difference.

I certainly hope that I will still be able to hold and/or pet my chickens when they are all grown up. No idea how many roos we are going to end up with....
And I think the ducks will just get more independent the older they get.

xoxoxoxo
PeepsNQuacks

The girls are happily spending their days running around in their totally enclosed run. They can go back into the coop for lunch and some peace and quiet BUT they have found comfort in hanging in the run. If we are not sitting with them, they are fully capable and willing to get comfortable.

We don't need no stinkin' roosts!!!

i am making a habit of talking to them daily and holding them each time i hold the less squirmy they are
These are my new Light Brahma's i have 2 they are going on 3 weeks old

Back
Top Bottom