Topic of the Week - Roosters, Yes or No?

I love my roos. They can be a real pain, but they are very unique, handsome, useful and fun. They also have some awesome personality.

- Is a rooster beneficial to the flock?
My roosters help hens find food and allow them to eat in peace while they stand guard. They help the flock produce new babies (they are kind of necessary in this sense). And they alarm call when they see predators. They will also attack predators that are approaching.

- How big should the flock be if you consider keeping one?
Generally its best to have 1 rooster per 8-10 hens, at least in my experience. Each rooster will have a few hens that are his, and if a rooster has no hens of his own he will try to steal from another sub-flock and that is when fights might start. If there are less then 6 or so hens for a rooster then he can injure them by over-breeding. Some roosters are really laid-back though, so I guess it depends on the roo.

- What should a flock keeper look for when adding, or keeping a rooster?
A very bold, tame cockerel is not a good keep. All my bold babies turned out highly aggressive and prone to attacking and biting and we had to get rid of them. A fearful bird doesn't make a good protector or pet, so its important to find a good balance. Teen roos can be kind of crazy with the hens and with people, so don't give up on them too soon. My favorite and best rooster, Dominator, was a real mean boy as a teenager and settled in quite nicely.

- Beside noise, what are the possible cons of keeping a rooster and what should be kept in mind.
Bothering the hens is a problem for some roosters. You can tell the hens aren't doing well with their man if they are missing feathers on their back or around their comb and head area (where the rooster will grab with his beak). Roosters can also lead hens further from the coop then they usually go, my hens only go to the road when their main man is with them. They also have to be watched that the diet given for the hens is not bad for them. Too much calcium isn't healthy for a bird that isn't laying any eggs, but he'll want to eat what they are eating, so oyster shell is a good choice in this case (he won't want to eat that).

I'm totally for a rooster, my hens seem happier with them around. However, it takes a careful balance not to have too many for a larger flock. 50/50 is what you'll get from a hatch and that is too many roosters, so each year I have to get rid of far more roosters than hens and it is really hard to find them a home. If you want a rooster or two for a flock then taking in a rehome helps other keepers a lot (who care too much for their birds to eat them).

I have only had trouble with teenage roosters, if you can get through those and teach them who's boss, they are really nice. My big 10 - 15 pound boy has never so much as pecked.

I also must add that some breeds of roosters are more
Aggressive than other breeds.
I show and breed Barbu D'Anvers and the roosters are usually slighly aggressive.
I have 2 breeding roosters and one of them will fly at my hand if it's near him.
The other one is very friendly and the hens are friendly.
I also have a young barbu d'Anver rooster which I kept for breeding purposes
As he is close the the standards for the breed and he will walk over to you like he is going to fly at you
But he hasent yet.
I am not scared of the though because they are very small breed, but if I had an aggressive large fowl
Rooster I would get rid of him
Goodluck
Fionn.

I use to pkay with the aggressive rooster. Put my one hand out as bait and grab him by the neck with the other. Then hold and pet him. After a while he didnt want anything to do with me. But he kept attacking my son so he went for soup. He was an EE.

The roosters I had who passed the teenage stage stopped being aggressive for a while, which made me think they became nice again. But after a few weeks, their aggression escalated to the point of real danger.
Also, I forgot to mention in my earlier post: the only clutch my hen hatched from one of my roosters (10 eggs) produced 8 males. So much for the 50-50.
1f633.png

Quote: One of the pitfalls of hatching eggs as opposed to buying sexed pullets.
idunno.gif
I read somewhere that cockerels normally make up 50-55% of a chicken hatch.
Actually I would take those odds. This year I got 11/18 cockerels. What's skewing my numbers is my beloved Easter eggers. In three years of hatching them I got only 3 pullets. With some other hybrids this year I got 7/10 girls.

One of the pitfalls of hatching eggs as opposed to buying sexed pullets.  :idunno  I read somewhere that cockerels normally make up 50-55% of a chicken hatch.
Actually I would take those odds.  This year I got 11/18 cockerels.  What's skewing my numbers is my beloved Easter eggers.  In three years of hatching them I got only 3 pullets.  With some other hybrids this year I got 7/10 girls.

I consider myself done w hatching eggs for the time being, haha
The only time I was really lucky w having only pullets was when I bought day olds from my local agway. Nice looking BOs, great egg production and good temperament.

I know a guy who got 30 roosters out of 40 eggs.
That is probably one of the worst ratios I have ever seen.
And to make stuff worse they were OEG bantams so
You would need a few of them for a stew lol.
He was selling them for €1.15 each ($1.20)
They are show quality so a good price If you were
Looking for a neither line.

Back
Top Bottom